Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anxious new owner!!

remiliuh

Reaction score
Hey!! I recently got a 4-month-old axolotl and it's my first one ever owning it!! unfortunately though I have anxiety and tend to overthink things a lot and I'm scared of accidentally killing my axie out of stupidity.
I was wondering what behaviours are normal and what behaviours could mean they're sick? I know stressed axies curl their tails at the end and curl their gills forward but I'm sure there could be more? or maybe I'm just not used to being so close to an axolotl? lol
right now it's in a bare bottom tank (we got sand today and we'll put it in tomorrow) without much stuff in it yet and it's been alright but I just noticed it's getting kinda floaty i think right now? I just noticed it now because I was out for most of the day. it's been swimming around the tank a lot too. I also noticed that its legs and tail look kinda red too, but I'm not sure if it's just my eyes tricking me because the lights in my room aren't the greatest. :confused:
I tried to get it into a container to fridge it earlier today but he was really fast and I couldn't do it!! does anyone have tips to get quick axies into a container?

sorry if these questions are dumb :uhoh: anxiety sucks
:cry:

remiliuh

Reaction score
ok update, it's the next morning and the red legs and tail were definitely just a trick of the light, but Kirby is still swimming around lots!! I'm sure they're just playing or something though. Kirby REALLY likes swimming .. is this just a thing that young axolotls do because usually they just like to stay at the bottom of the tank right? also, they're not really floating and can stay on the ground but even though I have a very weak current in the tank they still can be pushed around a little bit, but they don't show physical signs of stress?
still, if there are any weird behaviours I should keep an eye out for let me know!!

sk26

Reaction score
Hi there!

My young axie LOVES to swim around! You must be overthinking it and as a new owner as well, I do the same thing.

As long as Kirby is eating normally, not showing any signs of stress, then he's probably super happy and having fun! Make sure the water parameters, including the temperature, are where they need to be and don't worry about putting him in the fridge.

Mkhenderson17

Reaction score
I am new to Axies too. I have three of them who were all hatched out in Febuary so they are almost 4 months now. Its funny to see their differences. My wild type is super crazy active and swims a ton. the Lucy likes to hang out at the bottom more, and the golden albino falls somewhere between the two. I have floating plants that dangle in the water and I found these little guys LOVE to just float among the plants and hide. Sometimes I cant find them and they are right in front of my face lol. At first I was worried but since they are all doing it, I figured it is natural. I added a few more floating plastic plants that dangle in the water and they area huge hit. I rarely see them in the hiding tubes I have for them, they prefer the plants :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!