Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Frogs are Starving - Please help

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I tried catching a few insects below the lights but I was really disappointed. After a lot of tries all I could catch was just 2 tiny insects. My frogs havent eaten since I got them and they are starving for 2 days now. I really wish I could do something.

Here in India we dont have stores who sell live crickets or any other insects / livefoods. The only option that I have is to buy live earthworms from an organic farm nearby but these earthworms are too large - more than 4". Is it possible to chop them up and feed them to the frogs ? Will they eat it ?

Also wanted to know if I can feed Red Ants to my frogs or will the ants bite / kill the frogs ?

I can also breed guppies and feed the fry to the frogs - will they eat them ?

Kindly help me as I'm really worried for these guys...
Thanks and Regards
Kush

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
I think they will do fine with chopped up earth worms, the Earth worm tends to wiggle even after being chopped up:eek:, so they will capture the frogs attention and hopefully the frogs will eat them.
Also check the "for sale" part of the forum, most likely you will find either a person selling food or maybe a link to a website where you can order some.
I wish you the best of luck!
-Frank

Holding2k9

Reaction score
What annoys me and i mean no offence by this.
you have just got an amphibian for the sake of having a pet.
You should have thought straight away about dietry needs etc, but you havent .
I am sorry to say that i have a bad feeling you are going to not care for these frogs properly and it worries me in your sheer lack of planning.
Once again i mean no offence what so ever i am just merely stating the obvious.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1