Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby Axolotl Growth

kylakat13

Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I've been raising baby Axolotls for about a month and a half now and I'm wondering if mine are growing at an unusually slow rate? They've only grown a little and there isn't any hint of their front arms showing up. I've been feeding them and cleaning up after them very regularly, so I don't see why they aren't growing. I've been doing research and I've seen some people's babies growing at a way faster rate than mine. Does anyone have any idea why mine aren't growing? Or any tips on things that I can do?

nina89

Reaction score
Hi, I know this is 2 weeks old now but in case you still need help here you go:

Axolotls tend to grow at different rates depending on genetics, temp, feeding etc.I would say they should have legs by now at that age.

How long are they? checkout the axolotl.org for stages of growth to compare.

Do you live in a cold area? cold temps = slow growth

How often and what are you feeding them? they should be for 1-2 times per day and you should see there full belly's when your done.

How crowded is the tank? other axolotls will nip at each other, if its overcrowded they could have had there limbs bitten off by tank mates.

Also read all the sticky posts in the Axolotls on this site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1