Illness/Sickness: Fungus in the tank!

dkostetsky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, today I noticed that our two year old axolotl, Mochi, has grown the infamous white cotton fluff on her gill. Upon closer inspection the fungus is throughout her tank, on the live plants and food detritus. Her tank was cleaned just three days ago with no sign of any fungus.

How do I treat the tank? I know I need to salt bath her, but if I put her back in the tank she's just going to come right in contact with the fungus again.

This is our first time dealing with fungus so any advice is appreciated.

Edited to add: I've read the fungus thread on how to treat the fungus, I believe the root of the issue that she was in my daughter's room and the water quality got very bad. She's since been moved to a room where I can keep track of her and her tank quality.

For reference here's our sick little 'lotl:

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 117
What temperature is the water sitting at? Fungus loves warmer water, and anything above 18/19 degrees will encourage fungus growth. Remove food as soon as she hasn't eaten it so it doesn't build up (this could be the source of the fungus). For the live plants maybe blanch them in boiling water? For a few seconds, then rinse with tank water. This will kill beneficial bacteria too so make sure to test the water daily to make sure your cycle doesn't crash.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back