Question: Beginner Axolotl tank set-up

CaptainAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm in the process of setting up my 20 gal (long) tank for a pair of axolotls. Went out and got my substrate and a hideout for size comparison. Aside from the other hideout all I need now is the filter, and a divider. I know the basics on how to treat and take care of them I just have some technical questions. My questions here are:

Do I need natural bacteria?

Is 20 gal enough to accommodate two 3" axies without the divider?

How long should I let the tank cycle before its ready to house them?

What would you recommend as a good filter? (was thinking something simple like an undergravel or sponge filter as they are cheap and easy to clean)

As for the rest, its pretty much covered. Temperature and pH have been considered and tested with good results. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Make sure you read up on aquarium cycling as this will be important in ensuring good water quality. Here are a couple of links

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

For filter, I have a canister filter and I am very happy with this choice. However sponge filters are popular.

You will need a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as PH and also a thermometer. Have a look at the link below. There is a lot of info that would be useful

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Thank you guys for the great sources. I got all my supplies and will begin cycling today. The only questions remaining are about the divider, and also I must taper off the output of my filter to reduce the flow. So I was going to use a slate to do so. What types of rock are okay to use without compromising the integrity of tank conditions?

Thank you all for the links they've been super helpful.
I just began my cycle last night using pure ammonia @ 3ppm. Initial pH tested @ 7-7.2. Now I didn't use dechlorinator. I used tap water to fill the entire thing. Will this prove detrimental to my Bacteria? Also how much will temperature affect it? It's 68 F right now and I don't have a heater since that's the perfect temp for axies.

Well, you just started your cycle, so not dechlorinating the water hasn't set you back. In general, if you fail to dechlorinate, it will kill some of the beneficial bacteria and set you back (and can harm your axies once they are in the tank).

So go add some dechlorinator now just to get in the habit. It will probably have absolutely no effect, since the chlorine has probably evaporated by now. But it will help you remember for next time. :)

Unless your tanks are dropping into the 40s, you don't need a heater, ever. And I have heard that some keepers overwinter their axies outside where it gets cold enough to ice over occasionally.

Yes dechlorinator is very important, it removes chlorine and chloramines. Chloramine does not dissipate like chlorine, so if it is in your tap water leaving the water to sit (age) will not make it safe, so using dechlorinator when filling up a bucket of water is always advised, it remove traces of metal toxins too.

I use Seachem Prime, and Tetra AquaSafe as my dechlorinators, both available from aquatic stores and online.

So if I added the dechlorinator now, would I have to put in more ammonia? It gets rid of it doesn't it? Also would I use the dechlorinator for a 10%-20% water change? Id assume I'd use it for a 40-50% change right?

Dechlorinator does not remove ammonia. It makes tap water safe as tap water contains chlorine and possibly chloramine and traces of metals from the pipes it flows through. You should dechlorinate any tap water you add to your tank. You can contact your water authority who can supply full details of what is in your tap water.

Awesome, thanks Chris you've been super helpful I really appreciate it!! My axolotls are going to be super happy in this tank

No problem!

Make sure you read all the links that have been posted above, seriously helpful info in those!

So I've been doing the fishless cycle on my tank for a week now. So far I see no changes. I used tap water to fill my 20 gal all the way, and used a TopFin dechlorinator. The initial pH of my tap water was 7-7.2. Average temp is 66-68. I added 3ppm of pure ammonia and afterwards the pH came up as 7.8 . Everything else of course came up 0ppm. I have a plant in there as well. Three days ago I used the TopFin bacteria supplement. And a week into this I still have not seen any sign of nitrites or nitrates. Am I doing something wrong or does it usually take this long?

You'll just need to be patient, there's a chance the bottled bacteria may have caused a problem, but as long as when you test you can see 3.0ppm of ammonia just wait and the nitrites will eventually come!

So I've been cycling for a month now and I still have no readings of anything changing. pH is still 7.6. Ammonia is still 3ppm. No nitrites or nitrates. Water is b/t 66-68 I know that's low but since it's a nice temp for axolotls I never saw a reason to buy a heater. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking about doing a 50% water change and trying to reduce the ammonia to 2ppm. I'm beginning to get really frustrated with this. How has it been a month and Ibe had no results? Been using Seachem prime as my dechlorinator.

Would the addition of some seachem prime affect my readings for ammonia? I added some prime earlier today because I had water evaporating and wanted to top it off. My ammonia is now reading at 1ppm. Nitrates are at 5ppm and nitrites are at 0ppm?? How can that be possible.

I haven't tested the water in a few days. Is it possible I missed a nitrite spike and it was pushed along by the plants in the tank? I have a decent amount of plants in there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back