Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

O<i>nychodactylus japonicus</i> (Japanese Clawed Salamander)

TJ

Reaction score
4149.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
This is the same sal that's sold in pill form as an aphrodisiac
cry.gif
4179.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
I haven't checked to see if my 3 larvae have developed claws yet but from the look of that pic above, they might have. Here's a nice site where you can see pics of the claws of Onychodactylus japonicus (generally known in Japan as "Hakone salamanders"):

http://www.rieo.net/amph/saramand/sansyouo/onych.htm

The 3 larvae I acquired from a Japanese hobbyist are of the western type, coming from Hiroshima Prefecture. I'm told they're intolerant of temperatures over 20C so I'm keeping mine near the air conditioner at 18C. I've also heard they a bit difficult to keep post-morph. Henk or anybody else have any experience keeping these? Anybody know if any other salamanders have claws?

TJ

Reaction score
The Japanese version of the above site has this info: This sal doesn't possess lungs. Compared with other local species, it's easy to distinguish by the fact that the tail comes to account for half or more of the body length. The black nails appear in the breeding season on the front and back limbs of the male. The larvae require a current. Temperature management poses a problem in raising post-morphs.

The newtkeeper I received them from recommended refrigeration.

H

henk

Hoi Tim, a bit late perhaps, but I indeed had some bad experiences with these guys... at first they did well, but during the summer I lost both of them .. unfortunattely. THey are georgeous though but I think a collling device might be appreciated

TJ

Reaction score
Hiya Henk, yes, I was told they expire pretty quickly beyond 20C. They're now at 18-19C. If the electricity were to fail while I was away from home, I'd probably lose them. I have a cooling device in mind for them once they morph, though I might just keep them in the fridge like others do. By the way, there's a tiny restaurant near my usual drinking spot in central Tokyo that has them on the menu! What say we all band together to establish the Salamander Liberation Front (SLF)?!
blob.gif

(Message edited by TJ on May 28, 2003)

TJ

Reaction score
This juvie from northern Japan is particularly colorful:

5137.jpg

5138.jpg

5139.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Here's the same juvie alongside a larger and also particularly colorful one:

5166.jpg

K

kaysie

Tim, i have to ask.... what do you feed your caudates? you have nothing but colorful and bright individuals, of all sorts of species (remembering the "pure gold" thread). you must feed them food coloring or something. tell us your secrets!

TJ

Reaction score
Here's a pic of that "stamina" restaurant mentioned above, and that's "salamander" circled there on the menu.
uhoh.gif

5736.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Well Henk, you'll be happy to learn that such shops are few and far between, and I'd bet only 1 in every 100,000 Japanese has ever eaten salamander before and ever will. Not nearly as common as frog legs in France, rattlesnake meat in the U.S,, alligator meat in Australia...

TJ

Reaction score
That should have read "crocodile" meat in Australia (I've spent several months in Darwin, Northern Territory, in recent years and several restaurants had it on the menu).

H

henk

Ok Tim, didn't want to sound a racist there at all... Even without eating animals we are doing our best in destroying habitats around here while we protect the animals (protect the fishes, but no need for water ...). So we do our share overhere too

I was just thinking about these nice unreachable animals for me, and then seeing somebody actually eating them overthere... Well if anyone is interested in eating salamanders : try those tasty Taricha's first...
smile.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Taricha's are a bit too heavy on the Tetrodotoxin, wouldn't you say Henk?...or was that your intention?
lol.gif

Went into the above shop the other day and found that it wasn't Onychodactylus japonicus on the menu after all, but rather what looked to me like Hynobius lichenatus. I'll spare you the pics though...

Speaking of Onychodactylus japonicus and eating, the individual I keep has finally gotten used to being fed by hand!

6148.jpg

6149.jpg

6150.jpg
6151.jpg

6152.jpg

D

daesik

Hi,

Do someone has a picture of the egg sacs of Onychodactylus fischeri? If someone has it, please please let me know...

(Message approved by admin)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1