Triturus Dobrogicus Larvae

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AJ
Here are some pics of my larvae and one of some morphs. I have around 40 larvae and morphs.

The smallest larvae, 1-2.5 inches:

picture.php

A large larvae, 2.5-3.5 inches:

picture.php

Some morphs, 3.5-4.5 inches:

picture.php

Nice! So...what are you going to do with all of the larvae?:D

Pretty sweet stuff AJ! Nothing better than watching newts go full cycle.

Thanks for the update!

Mitch

Here are two more photos of morphs:

Note yellow stripe:
picture.php

A clump of large morphs(3-4.5 inches)
picture.php

Here is another photo of morphs:
picture.php

Here is the setup for 5 big morphs:
picture.php

Here is the setup for the 10 small morphs:
picture.php

Thanks, I hope to breed them this winter too. Actually I know they will breed but I hope to raise larvae, I may not have time though. I may just sell some eggs this winter.

I have some more pics, sorry for posting so many.lol.

Here are some female morphs near the surface. Note the yellow lines on thier backs. Is it normal for dobro morphs to have such yellow lines on thier backs? I love them.
picture.php

Here is a little male. 1 of 3. So far only 3 males out of 13 morphs. Is that normal to have so many females?
picture.php

Also if anyone wants to trade some popei for dobrogicus, give me a pm. I would prefer aquatic popei or some that are close to going aquatic.

Yes, it's normal to only be able to sex out a few males at first. I'm sure some that look like females right now are actually males, just difficult to tell right now. Very nice looking animals.

If you are using the yellow stripe as a sign of gender....you´re very much mistaken.
My two juveniles are male and female, and it´s the male who has the yellow stripe.

And yes, it´s perfectly normal. You seem to have a rather large percentage of animals with the stripe so it´s possible your dobrogicus come from a bloodline that was contaminated at some point with T.carnifex...it happens.

[FONT=&quot]It is very interesting idea Azhael and would definitely explain the well defined yellow strip down the back along with the large volume of white dots.

While sexing these dobrogicus based on the yellow line is not by any means 100% accurate, knowing that the yellow line shows up predominately more in females than males, (especially in carnifex) this would be an educated assumption. Will all of the dobros with the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]large yellow stripes[/FONT][FONT=&quot] be female, probably not but I’d be willing to bet the majority will be.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beautiful newts AJ, I would be very proud of these guys! Thanks for sharing the pics.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Mitch[/FONT]

The fact that it predominates in females in the case of T.carnifex doesn´t mean it works the same way in other Triturus species.
To me the yellow stripe is linked to a particular coloration, specially rich in iridophores, not to sex, but then again my experience is limited.

I now have a sex ratio of 6:7. The females have the yellow stripes and the males have crests. The parents don't have yellow stripes so they may fade and look like the parents eventually. It is gorgeous though.

I agree it looks great. It will fade away as soon as they mature. It will become an orangy/brownish colour in the females.

About the yellow stripe, only some females have it. I made a new setup for the 13 small morphs because of feeding frenzies. One little newt lost a back leg. I was crushed! I instantly gave them a bigger cage with more plants to hide and rest in. Here are some pics.

Here is the new setup.
picture.php

Here are some more of the morphs:
picture.php

One of the male morph's crest is growing more and more slowly. I am wondering if he is going to get in breeding condition soon. He is a larger morph(4-4.5 inches) so I guess he could. I doubt it though. The parents bred successfully when they were 10-13 months old. I didnt try to breed them. He is 4-5 months old so he is definately to young.

I mentioned the male morph with a crest, well it is growing still! He is one of the large morphs and I keep a close eye on him. I managed to get two pics of him today. It wasnt very easy though.

picture.php

picture.php

Yes, one way or another. I will most likely sell them in bulk though. I dont know if people would buy them from me because I have not built up reputation and popularity as a person who sells newts like other people on this site.

Nice shots AJ, that is getting quite big for a young little guy! I also think it is interesting to see that the tail shows the white sheen similar to that of the breeding dress.

Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back