Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

To amputate or not to amputate?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just seeing this now. You did the right thing. Keep him quite cool to aid his recovery.

For anyone else with similar problems or injuries there are several threads on the forum about this but here is one of the better ones:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52877

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Harmony - show us a photo of the leg if you can. If it doesn't start to "rot" away or fungus within a day or two it'll probably be ok. If it's badly mangled then just take a razor blade to it - bleeding stops quite quickly and the animal will be better for it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Haven't been here for a while. Well done Sherylbobbins, he looks much better. Good luck with her vanessa. My two have both managed to take smaller lumps out of one another recently, my first experience of "axie agro". But nothing on this scale.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Sheryl,

Great job and very cool photos. Hoping for a speedy recovery and return to health keep us posted

Harmony

Reaction score
Hi thanx everyone.. i cant get a picture but it is to the bone and looks like only the hand has flesh left.. and her being pregnant??

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Thanks everyone =) OMG OMG! John posted on my board *faints* Dude, I love you in a non-sussed way!

Sigh.. what's with Axie's only half chewing off each others legs!!

Axies are just evil like that lol. Amputating limbs is really horrible, seriously. Only do it if you REALLY have to. Sarge is doing rather well. And by that I mean still alive =P There's been a bit of growth on his stumpy little limbs but nothing too major... Some good news though. Sue the Psycho Axolotl has stopped biting his peers. My mum is so proud. Would it be fairly safe to take the little fella out of the fridge? I'm gonna try to get him to eat something again. La de da de da!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Fantastic news, when one of the juveniles lost half its leg and started to re grow it I was very happy...seeing those toes regrow is amazing Such clever little animals. If the invalid is going into its own tank I would say go for it, otherwise I would be tempted to leave it a little longer. Depending on just how cool the fridge is it may be worth offering some food .

ali000

Reaction score
wow sheryl, your a brave lady.
congratulations on remaining calm and all my wishes go to sarge and his rejuvination :D

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Update!

Well... it took a while but Sarge is VERY slowly regrowing back his legs. They've grown about 7mm on each side and on one leg he now has 2 toes! I was so proud :grin: Not to mention his gills are back to their fluffy old self :)

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hoorah, Sarge! He's definitely earned his stripes. (You, too!)

-Eva

coichards

Reaction score
This thread is very intense when you start looking at the photos.
I am so so so so so glad for you and your axie, I hope I never have to amputate mine, its hard to even think about it
:p;):D:eek::rolleyes::cool::frog::wacko::supercool::p:rofl::grin::happy::wink::talker::lick:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we would all like to see a photo of the legs now if possible please?

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
picture.php

Tim S

Reaction score
In the future if someone has this problem sharp pointy scissors work well too. You just hold the animal down and make a quick snip.

Last edited:

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
I have to say that I just found this thread today, and honestly this is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, I spend my days worrying that Squishy is going to die because she hasn't moved in the past fifteen minutes and here you are snipping off limbs and Sarge seems to be doing great.

Congratulations on learning something new, hopefully you'll never have to do it again. Great job!

Here's hoping everything returns well and he soon has full working limbs soon (Squishy apparently lost toes or something early on in life because she has a 6th toe on one of her back feet)

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
In the future if someone has this problem sharp pointy scissors work well too. You just hold the animal down and make a quick snip.

Hehe I used my mum's hair dressing sissors once I sterilised them. They worked pretty well once I worked up the courage to snip :p

I have to say that I just found this thread today, and honestly this is the most amazing thing I have ever seen, I spend my days worrying that Squishy is going to die because she hasn't moved in the past fifteen minutes and here you are snipping off limbs and Sarge seems to be doing great.

Axolotls are pretty awesome at healing. Luckily for us lol. I have a feeling that Sarge's left leg won't grow back. They other leg is growing back really well but that one has pretty much stayed the same for months now. Maybe I cut it in a bad spot? Oh well. At least he's now relatively healthy :D I had an axie that never regrew her toes and had just the 1 toe. Quite odd. Thank you for the support, it made me feel a little less guilty hehe

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
I don't even know you and I am proud of you. I couldn't even handle seeing my friend in the hospital after a bike wreck, I saw his face and passed out cold. Needless to say Axolotl amputation would probably end badly for me, but you have done a really great job, you should give yourself a big pat on the back for saving Sarge :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!