Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fat or Skinny

axie girl

Reaction score
:confused:How can you tell if Your axalotl is fat or Skinny and can you sugest somthing to help the m gain weight? Last Question how do you weigh axalotls:confused:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Axie girl,

Firstly assess the overall condition of the axie. Does it look healthy? A general guide for a healthy size is to compare the width of the axie's head with the belly region. The axie should be plump with the midsection approximately equal to the width of the head. Female/gravid axies may have a rounder belly. This is normal.

An axie is too fat when the tummy region bulges out significantly more than the width of the head. Note that you only compare the tummy region. If you notice that the whole axie (limbs, neck etc) look swollen, that might be bloat, an illness condition.

A skinny, emaciated axie tend not to look too healthy. Bony prominences such as the hips or shoulder region might appear more obvious. The midsection would also look less wide than the head width.

You can weigh your axie using kitchen scales. Get a container (such as an ice cream tub) and fill with a known volume of tank or declorinated water. Record the total weight. Thereafter, transfer your axie into that container and take the total weight again. The difference in the two weights is the weight of your axie.

The best way to build up the body condition of your axie would be to offer a variety of nutrious food. Offer live earthworms, blackworms, bloodworms and axie pellets as a staple. You can give occasional treats of shrimp, fish, beef etc. This is a gradual process so don't overfeed your axie. Allow it to slowly put on weight healthily. I would recommend against feeding fatty foods (untrimmed meats, excessive mealworms or waxworms etc.) You want your axie to put on weight while ensuring proper nutritional balance. Fatty foods are not nutritionally optimal. At best, offer them very sparingly in very small amounts.

Cheers.

axie girl

Reaction score
Yes my axie is healthy As for the part about head and belly thats good because thats how I'v been doing it so far
:DThanks:D

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I jut got a great tip today (thanks Daniel!) on how to tell - my female has a belly large with eggs, which is why I was asking. Check the neck and front legs from the underside - if those are nice and slim, your axolotl is fine.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!