Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shedding larva C. Orietalis

vistajpdf

Reaction score
My 3 mo. old larva with the shrinking gills is shedding around his neck. I don't think my adults have ever shed but I've read that they do shed and have seen posts here about it. Is it common for the larva to shed?

Dana

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it´s probably it´s very first shed. They start shedding during metamorphosis, in order to develop their new terrestrial and substantially different skin(new life, new skin). The larva must be within hours of completing metamorphosis, i´ve only seen it happen in the last stages of the process.
The adults sure shed, but since it´s a rather quick process and they most times eat the skin, you just don´t notice.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Yes, it´s probably it´s very first shed. They start shedding during metamorphosis, in order to develop their new terrestrial and substantially different skin(new life, new skin). The larva must be within hours of completing metamorphosis, i´ve only seen it happen in the last stages of the process.
The adults sure shed, but since it´s a rather quick process and they most times eat the skin, you just don´t notice.

I can still see small gills - should I move him to a terrestrial set-up now? I clearly see a layer of skin floating alongside his forearms. It is still attached to him. He's made no attempt to get off the aquarium's floor whatsoever.

Dana

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Wait for it to go on land by itself. Once it gets out ten move it. It will complete shedding the skin and eat it, don´t worry.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Oh Azhael, I wish I wasn't such a worrier! I'm afraid this foursome would put out a restraining order on me if they could as I've become their stalker!

I took out a couple of inches of water leaving just over 2" and added some other things that just about or do break the surface - an aquarium type of log, a tree type of decoration, and more fake floating plants. I have no live plants but feel I should venture into them next.

Thanks for holding my hand through these past 3 months - I do appreciate it!

Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!