Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Axolotl with dead legs and fungus?

Vyrus

Reaction score
So I have had my 2 axies for almost a year now and everything was going smoothly until 5 days ago when my golden axie attacked my wild type. The wild was left with no tail and severely injured legs (all four). I separated them and changed the water right away and took him/her to a vet to see if there was anything they could do but every vet I spoke to including that one seemed clueless. Fungus (cloudy white) started growing on all four limbs as well as the nub that is left of his/her tail. Now all four legs seem to be dead (can hardly recognize them and they are jelly-like and turning white. I touched them lightly to see if it bothered the axie but no response. I was giving salt baths for the fungus but am not having any luck. He/she is not very responsive now and I am not sure what I should do or if anything can even be done to save him/her. I am going to attach some pictures I took. I am willing to try whatever I can to help save him/her if it is still possible. If not, should I just let him/her die naturally? I feel so bad :( Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,332
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,194
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,359

Minniechild

Reaction score
Do you have him in the fridge? At the moment it can buy you time, and will help him/her de-stress. Next thing is we need one of the vets on here to write out a set of instructions you can take to a vet you think will be okay to do the amputations. The main issues are going to be keeping him/her cool, sedating him/her for the proceedure, blood loss and minimising the recurrence of fungal infection after the proceedure.
Keep your head up, we'll all be thinking of you!

Thintros

Reaction score
Ah!! a very similar thing happened with an axie I just recieved. I hope another answer turns up soon so I can get help too. Ill post the info on my problem shortly.. there is no fungus, but the tail is a stumpy looking bit now and her legs dont seem as bad as yours.. :( I hope yours recovers well.

also, mine needs to eat, but it might be too late :eek::eek: i really hope not.

ebonykrow

Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Poor thing, I have no advice but I was wondering if you know why the axolotl suddenly attacked it so ferociously?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!