Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help fungal infection?!

sneakyb

Reaction score
Hello so my male Axolotl, who is about 4 years old, has developed (I think) a fungal infection/foot rot, and is now biting off his feet and tail, so that bone is hanging out of his legs It is very distressing for him and for me to watch. I've salt bathed him, and he is in the fridge and has been for the past 4 days, no signs of improvement yet. He hasn't eaten for a week, and I'm seriously worried for him :( What do I do!?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
First of all, I'm sorry your axxie isn't well, and I know it must be hard for you to see him like this.

I am wondering if the foot rot you mentioned was fungus and not something else, but if he is biting at it there may be a chance that it is irritating him (fungus apparently itches) so that might explain his sudden change in behaviour. He probably isn't eating because treatments for illness (and illnesses themselves) tend to stress these little guys out.

I would advocate a vet trip - necrosis of the skin merits vet diagnosis and treatment in my eyes. Apart from that, cool, clean water and a dark place will help him to cope. You can also keep trying to feed him, but given that he's poorly, he may not take it.

Is the fungus gone? Also, what are your water parameters like?

sneakyb

Reaction score
Thank you I'm taking him to the vet later this week, but if I'm honest it's not looking good!

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
I read about something similar while reading this
[FONT=&quot]http://www.ambystoma.org/education/guide-to-axolotl-husbandry. The circumstances are different but the symptoms sound terribly similar.
[/FONT]

Although we successfully use plastic containers, they must be kept very clean. Plastic tends to support the growth of a bacterial scum along the bottom and sides of the container. We have found that if this scum is not cleaned off periodically, the axolotls will develop sores on their toes and feet that will not heal. Instead the skin retreats up the leg and the toes eventually die and are sloughed off. If this happens put the axolotl temporarily into a glass bowl. Add a few drops of mercurochrome (enough to tint the water a pale orange) to the water as a disinfectant, and change the water frequently. The axolotl will heal nicely, and the toes will probably regenerate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1