Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie not eaten for over 2 weeks - not sure what to do??

vickybirtles

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've read through numerous posts on here to try and figure out what's going on with Schmee my wild type axolotl (I call him a he, even though she's probably a she!). I've had him for almost 2 years and feed him frozen blood worm cubes mostly, every other day. He's always looked to be a good weight (body no wider than head) and I hand feed and hold the cube whilst he attacks it, until it's fairly small and he gobbles it!

I noticed around 1.5 weeks ago that he'd not eaten for a couple of days, so decided to try him on a live worm instead - he initiated attacking it with a peck, but then had no interest at all. Since then i've done numerous 20% water changes (water quality had slipped a little for some reason) and have tried feeding him on numerous occasions too - again, he'll take an initial nip at the cube, but then nothing.

The tank is bare bottom, around 18C and as I say, there was detection of a little ammonia, no nitrites and some detection of nitrates (not sure if this means anything?).

I decided after a week of no food (no poo's either) that i'd put him in treated water in the fridge. I left him for 3 days, changing daily - on the third day he'd expelled some waste - so presumed he'd been a little blocked up, left for another day and then put him back in his tank - in the evening i tried to feed bloodworms again, and again he pecked at it and wasn't interested after that. Subsequently I've put him back in the fridge (2 days ago) - he expelled a little more wasted on the first day (despite not having eaten now for 2 weeks) and I've kept him in there because I feel it's probably better than in his tank?

Can anyone suggest anything - should I keep him in the fridge? I don't know what else to do... Noticed this morning that one of his hind legs is kinda stuck out - could he still be constipated? He doesn't look particularly skinny.

Thanks in advance

Skudo09

Reaction score
He is unlikely to eat whilst in the fridge due to the decreased metabolism. Bloodworm is not sufficient as a staple diet for an adult axolotl. Best to switch to earthworms or newt/axolotl pellets. What is the exact reading of ammonia and other parameters in your tank? This suggests that your cycle may have crashed at some point and is re-establishing.

Could you post some photos? I am not sure what you mean by his leg stuck out. I would probably remove him from the fridge.

vickybirtles

Reaction score
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply. I've just done a test and Ammonia was 0.25 (was 0.5 before), Nitrite 0, Nitrates 40. I've taken him out of the fridge to steadily come back to a room temperature. I've noticed a small amount of white specks on him (I find this happens if the water quality is compromised) but have never done anything about it, as it seems to go away fairly quickly. Have attached some photo's. I'll get an earthworm and maybe see if he takes to this tomorrow? Or would you try as soon as he's in the tank again?
Thanks again
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxeE2fnHuEWVa2V1cTRULU12b3M
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxeE2fnHuEWVNDRJeGh3N2ZEWE0

Skudo09

Reaction score
Your cycle does not appear to be established. Are you aware of the cycling process? do you dechlorinate your water? I would keep him somewhere out of the fridge but somewhere cool in a tub of fresh dechlorinated water for now and do 100% water changes daily in the tub until you can get your tank parameters under control.

Unfortunately I can't view the links provided.

vickybirtles

Reaction score
Hi again,
I'm aware of the cycling process and did this initially - something has obviously happened to give the .25 rating - but then i'm reading that API test kits can be a little misleading on the ammonia rating. I'll follow your instructions and keep changing the water and hopefully he'll eat from his temporary accommodation!

Skudo09

Reaction score
Something has crashed the cycle. It looks like it is very close though.

vickybirtles

Reaction score
So... out of desperation I cut a bloodworm cube into about a third - he was obviously interested, took a little bite, but this time I hung around and kept picking up the worms and holding them under his mouth - he had another go at eating. So I sat and watched for a little while and he 'hunted' on the floor of the tank for more. Tiny victory, but i'm gunna be patient and find a small worm tomorrow and see how that goes. I'll keep on top of the water and hopefully get it to the right levels soon!

Thanks for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1