Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Changing my tank set up basic questions!

Punjiljh

Reaction score
I own 2 Chinese fire belly newts for around 2 weeks now and since I have made my first tank set up I have a great idea for a new set up. I'm thinking about re doing there tank in the Easter holidays ( I would own them for around 5 weeks by then )
Is this enough time for them to be able to re settle in a new environment?
Would sand as a substrate be okay ?
What should I keep my newts in while I'm re doing the tank and keep them happy?
If sand is suitable would my filter suck it all up ?
Would this be a good time to introduce a new Chinese fire belly ?

Thank you and sorry if these are dumb questions I'm just being carefully

AuSu

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Have you already read this: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly There's good information about chinese fire belly newts. You could also check caudata culture pics to make sure both of your newts are same species (pet shops mix them easily and that could result the other doesn't want to go into water - many times wild caught animals are very stressed, too, and that makes them stay on land).
About sand, many people use it and it's a good choice. Which filter you have? If you have an internal filter, that might be the reason one being out of water since they produce current (you can hear/feel it if you listen the tank side glass). I can't give you any good advice about sand and filters since I have half large gravel (not the ideal bottom) and half bare bottom in my tanks. But someone will surely help you out with this and you could also read through the threads, here's lots of information available :)
While setting your tank again, your newts could just stay in a bucket filled with moist aqua plants (remember cover) if it doesn't take that long. Have you cycled your tank? Good luck with your newts!
PS. I wouldn't introduce another newt until you have these two doing fine and all the conditions well.

Punjiljh

Reaction score
Yes I have read that and it's very useful! They both are the same species as far as I can tell both black with a orange underbelly. I have a elite stingray 5 as my filter which does my a current and does have a quite humm to it but there are no vibrations on the glass. I have considered moving him into a terrestrial set up but I don't want to scare the living newt out of him. I have cycled my tank and will I need to re cycle it when I decide to change the set up ? And thank you !

AuSu

Reaction score
If you don't brush the whole tank and decorations so that you miss all the good bacteria, there should be them available and you could start straight again. Also filter holds a great amount of good things so don't clean it in the same time when making changes in the setup. Of course, if newts are stressed and there's no healthy reasons to change setup, then you could wait a little longer and just let them settle in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1