Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Harlequin Axolotls?

J

jordan

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of a harlequin axolotl. I just heard out about this type and am interested in seeing one. I know they are rare so i just want to see a picture of one. Thanks, Jordan

A

apryl

I recon!!I used to have a pibald horse,Amigo,they remind me of her,cute!

H

hayley-jane

are harlequin and piebalds the same thing?

or are they different in appearance?

J

jordan

they're different looking. I don't know exactly what harlequins look like but the web site above has photos of a piebald.

J

joan

From what I gather, Harlequins are mostly white with patches of color, while piebalds are lacking color cells in various patches.

R

rita

Harlequins differ from piebalds in that the piebald is usually white with largish black 'splotches', whereas the harlequin is most commonly gold with smaller black 'dots' all over them, rather than just in one area, like the piebalds.
I do have a picture of a harlequin somewhere... I'll have to find it for u.

J

joan

Mind you that harlequin and piebald are not reserved for just axolotls. Any animal can be harlequin or piebald. We had a large piebald deer who was half white (the rear end, unfortunately) and then normal colored in the front. In Michigan, albino animals are protected. According to the state's rules, any animal exhibiting any degree of albinism (piebalds, we had piebald horse who was white, red eyes, brown just on the tip of his ears) are protected.

J

jordan

wow i didn't know all that about axolotls. Thanks again for leaving posts, JORDAN

K

kim

That axie is called Chance, i believe from old posts they lady who owned him has bred him with out any of his colour coming into the babies :S

J

jennifer

I know a book that you can see cool coloured axolotls in its called axolotl care and breeding in captivity by Peter W. Scott. It has heaps of good info too. so you should check it out.

J

joan

Stipe, instead of begging on the web board, I suggest doing a www.google.com search. Although due to their rarity, I doubt you'll find much.

S

stipe

sorry about the double post, my computer was playing tricks on me,
happy.gif

R

rita

Pity about that axie's colouring not breeding through... He's gorgeous!!!

J

joan

Rita, sometimes they may have normal color genes, but a fluke in the way they're expressed.

Sadly, I still have no freaks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!