Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange color?

thomas

Reaction score
We caught this frog today while cleaning out the swimming pool , just thought I would share this guy, hope the pic comes out
url]
url]

C

christopher

wow
...those frogs looked huge!!!
shocked.gif
I dont think that I have seen a frog that big in person but I hope I would
...........are those bull frogs?

thomas

Reaction score
I belive they are Rana melanota Green frog about average size for them, bullfrogs are much larger , still wondering about the color of the one

thomas

Reaction score
cool site thanks , metallic blue is indeed the color of this frog, I called it blue thought no one would belive metallic blue frog, just when you think you have seen it all something new walks hops crawls of flys out of the back yard

J

joan

Green frog scientific name is Rana clamitans melanota.

I've found a few blue specimens too. A very nice find. This is caused by a lack of yellow pigment in the skin. Green frogs are green because the iridophores reflect blue light through the yellow pigment, and we all know yellow and blue make green. If they're lacking the yellow, they look blue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1