Axolotl dirty tank base

bob2143

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Muffin + Crumpet + Waffle
Hello,

I have three axolotls in a four foot tank, with sand as their base. But the top of sand has lots of dirt on it. I was wondering if there is anyway i can clean off the dirt of the bottom, i have tried a gravel cleaner but it doesn't seem to get much of the dirt off.

Please tell me if you have any ideas...

bob2143

Hi Bob,

If you are using a hose-and-siphon cleaner like the one in the pic Jen posted, you need to wave it gently back and forth a little to raise the muck off of the sand - but not so much that you raise the sand, too. I find it also helps to hold the siphon more horizontally than vertically so that the muck doesn't fall back out again. Also, the lower other end of the hose is, the stronger the sihpon will draw water.

-Eva

ok thankyou for the help i will get a smaller syphon i think mine is too low with my water level.

Sorry, just to be clear in case there is a misunderstanding - the lower the end of the hose is, the better. For example, my tanks stand on cabinets. I get the best suction when I put a bucket on the floor and the output end of the hose into the bucket - that is over a meter drop and the water literally rushes out.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back