Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Selling a rare axolotl?

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have raised a cute piebald axolotl over the last year, she was the baby of my copper and wild type. She is fully grown now and I am considering selling her.

I'm having a weird mental struggle over it however.

Why i consider selling her:

- money, i know people would pay a lot to own her.

- I won't be breeding my axolotls again, and i know so many others who would love the opportunity to observe the genetics of the piebald/harlequin... so would I! but i will not have the time or energy to invest in more babies any time soon.

- might as well? Its a cool specimen to release into the axi community. I'm not very active on the forums any more and some one else could be posting updates of her progress.

Why i feel bad about it:

- I know she would be worth a bit but I also feel bad about selling her as any more special than the other beautiful pet axies.

- I raised her

- I would want to give her away for the most money (naturally) but feel sort of weird about auctioning a pet?

________

Should i be selling her to the highest bidder just because she is special? :confused: should i be thinking of selling her at all? I know other people here would take great care of her and I would keep in contact. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 11,316

racheljritchie

Reaction score
wow, i had never seen or heard of a piebald axolotl before! Cool, i would be having a dilemma too, i have some babies i will be selling soon and i am gettin attached to them!!

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Rach! we have the same name! aw yiss :D

I know how that feels too! The way i did it was by convincing myself that because I had so many, they would be in better hands after selling them because that person would have more time to invest in the one they bought than me, and that it would be raised better. Good luck!

jasper408

Reaction score
I'm sure many breeders would be interested in her, and try to prove out the genetics. That will take a couple years and will be an investment in both time and money, but if it is a simple recessive, it will well be worth it.

With that being said, you can either sell her now, sell her het offspring, and/or take the time to create more of her yourself. I can see how the time needed can seem daunting, so it's understandable that you want to sell her now.

If you do sell her, a higher price nearly guarantees her well-being in the future. It's a win-win situation. :cool:

Minniechild

Reaction score
Perhaps keep her, and then you can loan her out over june-august for breeding. From my own point of view, you have a special bond with her, and you love her enough to put some seriously deep thought into her future. It doesn't really matter if we don't get updates on her, what matters is that she is with someone who loves her, knows her, and respects her. I'd say you tick all the boxes quite well, and heaven knows that you don't want to come out of this with any regrets. Not to mention, is money really going to be enough compensation if she isn't there?
(I hereby disclaim that I am in a state of just possibly having lost my own "super special" baby, so I am very heavily biased on the matter...)

FX1C

Reaction score
I can offer this little one a home in a
6'ft x 2.5'ft x 2'ft tank - next year I could plan breeding this one with the best match (after seeking advice - I'm not up on axolotl genetics just yet)
- I have many lotls here with diverse bloodlines & most colour types.

The best thing is I'm in Sydney (Epping) & happy to give you visitation rights :D

PM me if you want to discuss this & come up with a plan :)

I have to admit seeing this post earlier & thinking I wish there was something like that near me - had no idea you were in the same city :D so happy!

<3 >o_o< <3

Traxolotl

Reaction score
She does look beautiful, I say keep her. She looks like a mosaic anyways, and if that's true you cant prove a gene out for that. I guess you could sell her, but since you're attached and she's so special I say just keep her no matter what. :)

jasper408

Reaction score

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I can offer this little one a home in a
6'ft x 2.5'ft x 2'ft tank - next year I could plan breeding this one with the best match (after seeking advice - I'm not up on axolotl genetics just yet)
- I have many lotls here with diverse bloodlines & most colour types.

The best thing is I'm in Sydney (Epping) & happy to give you visitation rights :D

PM me if you want to discuss this & come up with a plan :)

I have to admit seeing this post earlier & thinking I wish there was something like that near me - had no idea you were in the same city :D so happy!

<3 >o_o< <3

I'd say if you are determined to sell her, give Nikki a shout...the tank sounds huge and, as Nikki is in the same city as you, and if you get visiting rights too, you'll never actually lose contact.

If you're having doubts though, don't do it and regret it. I don't envy you the decision either way. But let us all know the outcome.

Good luck.

FX1C

Reaction score
Any update on this little one?
Have you made a decision or come up with a monetary figure?

Did you still want to get a golden?

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!