Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Suggestions for sick axolotl PLEASE

Chammer70

Reaction score
Hello, we have an albino axolotl. He's an adult and been very healthy for close to a year with us now. Started to notice his pretty gills had become very small. He then started, suddenly, to refuse food - of any sort. Tried everything. Then he ate some small worms every other day for about a week. Then he would grab the worm, then spit it out, and proceed to look like he was gulping, but with no food in his mouth. Now he refuses to even attempt to eat. He's now very thin and I feel like we're just waiting for him to die. It's sad and I feel awful. Water levels all test out fine. No idea what's going on with him. He is reddish/pinkish and I honestly came remember if he's always been that tone or if he used to be more white. Any suggestions, please. I fear it may already be too late.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1