Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!! Newly hatched babies

Asher904

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I had a early hatch over the weekend and a few hatch yesterday for the 1st, April fools day lol.

I started my BBS and put then in with the little guy yesterday and they are still alive today. I just can't tell if he is eating. I am either blind or I just dont know what I am looking for. I know their anatomy so I take it I am just blind lol. He has been swimming around a good 4 days now. Oh I did lower the water a bit.

I looked last night and sone of my daphnia have hatched as well. Have to go get them food and snails later today. I just wanted some pointers. I really want to keep the one that hatched early!! He is the first picture, he is sideways most times I check on him.

Attachments

• 20190401_231138.jpg
    20190401_231138.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 20190401_230428.jpg
    20190401_230428.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 20190401_230453.jpg
    20190401_230453.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 266

Viking

Reaction score
How many eggs are you hatching? A smaller group is more doable. It usually takes a day or so before the yolk is used up. There are two ways to tell is they are eating. They hop when swallowing food. If feeding BBS the belly turns bright orange.

I like to start a daphnia culture over the eggs with some greenwater. It is a little late for that now. It is possible to have a thick enough batch to keep a small group (50 or less) fed for a couple weeks. They will grow big enough to wipe the group starting with smallest first. BBS can started on demand. I have a group going right now.

Good Luck,

Viking

Asher904

Reaction score
Where do you get your daphnia?? The ones I purchase haven't hatched yet!! I thought I seen some in there but I must have been seeing things. I am keeping a handful of each. My gfp Lucy just laid some eggs as well. They see to be swimming around a lot and, I tryed to make sure there is more than enough BB.

Viking

Reaction score
They can be found sometimes fish club meetings and or auction. Mine I have had for years. You can buy live cultures online. They will survive down to 32 F. I also have a large tank outside which just starting to hatch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!