Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanoid x Golden Albino?

thezoo

Reaction score
I know there's a ton of questions like this, but I've looked at other people's answers about genes and the like and just can't retain it. This Ziggy (mom)'s first clutch. She's the golden albino, and dad is the melanoid. Any guesses? The eggs are white at 3 days. I'm so curious. I'm worried I won't be able to sell mutts, though. Is that going to be a problem? (I was planning on doing it here for the record.)

Krispy

Reaction score
Axolotl genetics are hard to retain in general, I personally still struggle. The best way to guess what morphs your pairing will produce is if you know THEIR parents, and finding out what traits they are heterozygous/homozygous for. As for your "mutts" concern, there is no such thing with axolotls, each individual will have a distinct morph as it grows up.

thezoo

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, I was waiting for more replies then forgot! They've developed little faces and I can now say they've got black eyes, and some darker spots on their bodies. The eggs were white, though. As far as I know, the parents are 100% their own lines, if that's what you mean. Looks like they won't be albinos of any sort, with those eyes.

Acacia

Reaction score
Three questions, then I can help narrow down the genetics a little bit more.
1. Does your golden albino have shiny patches on her? Especially on the gills or tail?
2. Look closely at the babies' eyes. Are they pure black, or do they have a reflective ring around them?
3. Do all the babies look similar, or do some appear light grey with only black speckles on their backs?

thezoo

Reaction score
God, I apologize again, I didn't get notified -.-.
1) Oh definitely, she's gorgeous, I can see how they got their name. I bought them directly from a breeder, btw.
2) I thought they were black until I took these photos (that I hope will upload)! They do seem to have the ring. They're just so small.
3) I'll show you! They all look really similar. The one in the second photo is probably the brownest, almost all look like the other photo. The eggs were laid on March 6th and hatched on the 21st. Those were taken today.

Attachments

• ax2.jpg
    ax2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 361
  • ax1.jpg
    ax1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 336

Acacia

Reaction score
They all appear to be wildtypes!

If you're interested, I'd be happy to try to explain why! The gist is that neither axolotl had an unexpressed recessive gene.

thezoo

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know that was possible- I'd love to hear how.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!