Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ensatina vocalization

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I have read that Ensatinas could make slight hissing sounds but the other day, one squeaked several times at me as I released him next to the boulder it had been under... very similar to the sound that arboreal salamanders make... I wondered if anyone else had witnessed this?

rust

Reaction score
I've been keeping quite a few for almost a decade now and have never heard any vocalization.

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I've heard surprisingly loud squeaky vocalizations from tiger and fire salamanders (which of course are a lot bigger).

Aneides

Reaction score
I heard Ensatinas could make hissing sounds online, and I also have heard my Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis make 'burping'- like vocalizations, but never squeaks. One of my Aneides lugubris was extremely vocal. I have never heard an Ensatina squeak in the wild or captivity. I will look into this for you.

Regards,
Aneides

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard surprisingly loud squeaky vocalizations from tiger and fire salamanders (which of course are a lot bigger).
Air escaping through the nares will produce a squeak-like sound. With few exceptions, salamanders do not produce vocalizations as they lack vocal chords/sacs.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard squeaks from all of my ambystomatids, and recently from my Taricha. This one surprised me, as I've had her for years and never heard anything. Then she squeaked 3 times in one feeding!

Of course, this squeaking is what Jan described.

Would a hissing sound be more like a forceful sigh? A loud exhalation?

Aneides

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it might be more common for the larger salamanders to produce squeak like vocalizations. Some Taricha and Dicamptodon, both native to my area can produce squeak like sounds. What subspecies was it? Just yesterday, Sunday, I had a Coastal Range Fence Lizard produce a hissing sound. Maybe he was just mad or mean (in his genes?LOL).

Regards,
Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!