Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

An unsuspected guest

gcollin

Reaction score
The other day after it had stopped raining I went outside to look for earth worms, while I was looking along the shore line of a little stream, I found a bufos americanus I was happy to find a animal (I do not normally) so I picked him up, after I had picked him up I noticed his right was red, it appears to be half filled with blood (I am guessing it is blood because the volume of red fluid changes) besides the eyes problem, he has several gashes on his stomach, on of them is an open wound.
I brought him back to my house in the hope of I might be able to help him, he is curently in the same tank with my other toads (same species of toad). if you have any ideas on how I might be able to help him please do not hesitate to tell.

-Collin

KennyDB

Reaction score
Why would you take the risc of putting a sic or hurt animal with your healthy ones? I would quarantain it and let him heal properly.

katebutton

Reaction score
Putting an injured toad- whether it appears sick or not- in with your toads is irresponsible. I realize you're trying to help but sometimes you just need to let nature take its course instead of putting the toads you've already collected at risk. At the very least, if you're going to keep the injured one, you need to separate it regardless of if you think it's sick or not.

From your previous postings I realize you don't understand the importance of quarantining new animals- you should really consider this. Even if you have animals of the same species, it doesn't mean that newly caught animals can't introduce foreign pathogens or parasites.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!