Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Planted tank?

Nickert

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 40 gal with 3 axolotls, an over the back aqueon filter, led lights and a fan to cool the water. I've been having trouble keeping the plants alive due to the cold temperatures. Any tips on what parameters/substrate/temp I should have? My water usually hovers around 63-65 F. What kinds of plants could I use?

ShrimpShepherd

Reaction score
It may not be the cold temperatures since plants can grow, just very slowly in cold temperatures given they have proper nutrients. I'm guessing you have a sand substrate since you have plants - you need to dose the water with fertilizers (micro) and or NPK macros depending on your need. Some plants also need CO2, which you can get from a CO2 regulator system which is pricey, or a cheap bottle of Glutaraldehyde by seachem which is another source of Carbon, not CO2.

Basically your substrate is inert and not enough nutrients for the plants to grow if any.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
What plants are you keeping? Some survive better than others in cooler temps. I've got hairgrass, java ferns and anubias that do well. Have a light on a couple of hours a day (and plenty of dark spots for your axies).
This article has lots of info for you https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml
Is your substrate sand and/or aqua soil?
I've seen a bit of debate on here about aquatic plant additives (the bottled kind), whether it is okay to use with axolotls. I haven't used it myself so can't really say anything about it but if you go that route make sure you research it thoroughly :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1