Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

mealworms

Dinozzo

Reaction score
My Tadpoles have just recently turned into frogs but they still have small tails. Im not sure what to feed them but someone at my local petshop said to feed them meal worms. I have some but im unsure of how to feed them. I have tried leaving the worms (which are alive) on dry ground for them but they ignore them. On the back of the container it says that you can feed them to frogs. Im unsure of the species of frog that i have but they are very small there bobys being about 1 and a half centimetres long not including their legs. I live in New Zealand if that helps because we dont have that many different species of frog. Any ideas on what else to feed them or how to make them except the mealworms? thanks

Ulysses31

Reaction score
Hi, you could try those tropical woodlice, they are very small and there is someone on here who made a good video on how to breed them yourself, they show frogs eating them in their video (AJC: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50769). I breed both them and some local sorts too (which are a lot bigger) as not only do they make a good high calcium food but they are also good tank custodians (shame my chameleon is so picky he only seems to take meal worms).

Hope this helps, I don't keep frogs myself but since I watched that video yesterday thought I should post a reply.

Jason

Dinozzo

Reaction score
Yup that does help thanks but unfortunatly i dont have any woodlice at my house-anywhere. Any ideas on where to get them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1