Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Jumbo redworms=european nightcrawlers.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I've seen these sold in baitstores. They are lighter colored and firmer than Eisenia foetida...not to mention at least 2x the size. Are they european nightcralwers?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You are probably talking about Eisenia hortensis. They also go by European nightcrawlers and Belgium red worms. I've switched to mostly using E. hortensis. E. foetida are more popular with worm ranchers but more are starting to offer hortensis. My back yard has a strange glow at night from the lights over the worm bins. The lights help to keep the worms from running away. I have 2 bins behind the shed and 1 bin in the basement. This year I planted extra zuchinni, other squash, and tomatoes for worm food.

Trinity ranch is a good source for reasonably priced E. hortensis. They are more expensive than E. foetida.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Hello Michael.

That is correct. I hear the breed slower than Eisenia foetida? They don't have as much of the acrid secretions either which is quite a plus and they get large enough for pretty much anything.

Are culture requirements indentical too? I've heard of people raising both together and that is what I hope to do.

michael

Reaction score
Cultural requirements are nearly the same. The hortensis might be more apt to run away. They are big eaters. I used to raise a mix but have switched to hortensis.

michael

Reaction score
[
Trinity ranch is a good source for reasonably priced E. hortensis. They are more expensive than E. foetida.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to say that Trinity Ranch has lost my order two times. I expect orders to be shipped in a timely manner and my messages to be returned.

I now recommend Earthworms For Sale : Redworms and more. for E. hortensis.

ambertastic

Reaction score
I had the same issues with Trinity - it took three weeks for my worms to arrive and none of my calls or emails were returned. I understand weather and holiday constraints but in unusual circumstances, communication should be a priority :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1