Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do axolotls like hamster wheels?

Frizbehitman

Reaction score
Hello, just a quick one to introduce myself. My axolotl is called Axel Rose (imaginative I know). He or she is still only 8 cm long and settling in. Just ate a ridiculous amount of blood worms! (defrosted). Having concerns about the water temp. Seems to fluctuate between 20c and 22c. He/she seems happy tho. Maybe a bit bored. Thinking of getting another. Any advice?

In the process of building my own chiller for the more warm days that might eventually turn up... I'm looking into thermoelectric plates in a water proof bag connected to a proportional temperature controller. Seems like a cheap way to do it in a 60l tank. Again, any advice welcome? Anyway.... Hello.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that axolotl owners have ways of keeping their axies amused. Hopefully they'll give you some ideas or you can peruse the axolotl area.

Frizbehitman

Reaction score
Thank you, I will. Also what does the little blue tag in the rating column mean? I've looked every where but can't find out.

Frizbehitman

Reaction score
When viewing the list of threads some of them have a little blue tag picture in the column for rating. I'm just curious to know what it means. I've read the rating notes and forum rules but can't find mention of it.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum! lol - I love the question but don't think they'd get much use out of the wheel! People have used rings like what you would use for a budgie (parakeet) toy! Make sure he/she has lots of plants (artificial is fine if you don't like real) to hang out in and a nice dark hiding spot. What are you using as substrate (on the bottom of your tank)? Sand is a pretty good choice, but you will want to avoid gravel 2mm or larger.

Cooling - if you have a hood on your tank, take it off and replace it with a screen top or if you can, leave it open. If you have a regular house fan, aim it to blow across the surface of the water, this will encourage evaporation which aids in lowering the temp of the tank.

if you plan on getting a buddy for Axel, you will need a larger tank. 60l (15 US gal) is only suitable for one. Whenever you decide to add the buddy, be prepared to have him/her in quarantine (separate tank) for at least 30 days. This will give you time to make sure the new one doesn't have some sort of illness that he could introduce to your established tank.

The blue button I think you are asking Otterwoman about is for Facebook. This thread may help you.

Frizbehitman

Reaction score
Hi Shannon, thank you for the advice I'm trying the fan thing now. Current temp 22.3c. I'm using ceramic stones on the bottom, nothing smaller than an inch in diameter. One massive fake plant plus all the filter, air stone, thermometer stuff plus a range of large stones and shells for hiding in. He seems pretty chirpy at the mo...I guess he's trying to use up his excess energy.

Might wait to get a another until I've got the space. Or maybe get one now and move them both when they get a bit larger. Good advice about quarantine.

Anyhoo....thanks loads, catch you on the flip side.

hendrixtheaxie

Reaction score
He probably would also like a hide like a pvc tube or something. Try the hamster wheel, what the hell, just make sure it doesn't leak toxins in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1