Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ZooMed Newt Food

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Found some "ZooMed Aquatic Newt Food" on clearance at my local pet supply store. Anybody know anything about it? Have you used it? Seems to be suited for axolotls (there is a strange/funny video promoting it at the posted link.) I had thought that there was a difference between aquatic "salamanders" vs "newts," and I thought that axies were salamanders, but then again maybe the general diet is the same. Usually I use salmon pellets as supplied by the ambystoma genetic stock center, but this one was only $0.70. :happy: Thoughts?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought some a while ago as an extra food option for my smaller newts, especially my pyrrhogaster. Initially I didn't use it because they where not keen to become aquatic. Then one day my 3 year old son thought he would be really helpful and feed them fish flake food. The newts where gleefully trying to eat it as fast as they could while I was trying to remove it. A few days later I tried it and they all will feed on it. I assume newts have a good sense of smell as they quickly find the tiny pellets very quickly. I still feed them mostly small earthworm as I am not keen to feed just the one product.

HeatherFeather

Reaction score
I got this stuff on clearance as well (25 cents!) and its so tiny that I decided to feed it to my 4 week old baby axies. They eat it very well! I'm feeding them other things as well since I'm cautious about it, but does anybody have experience or thoughts on this?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found some "ZooMed Aquatic Newt Food" on clearance at my local pet supply store. Anybody know anything about it? Have you used it? Seems to be suited for axolotls (there is a strange/funny video promoting it at the posted link.) I had thought that there was a difference between aquatic "salamanders" vs "newts," and I thought that axies were salamanders, but then again maybe the general diet is the same. Usually I use salmon pellets as supplied by the ambystoma genetic stock center, but this one was only $0.70. :happy: Thoughts?

Axolotls are salamanders, and newts are also salamanders. All one big happy family.

I heard a rumor that one of the major brands was going to start repackaging the Rangen salmon pellets (same stuff that the AGSC sells) as newt or axie food. But I don't know for sure if Zoomed is the one. Anyway, if they eat it, it should be fine for them. The only cautionary note I would mention is that something sold on clearance may be an product that's been on the shelf for a year or more, so it may have lost its vitamins.

HeatherFeather

Reaction score
It says they expire this September. Do they lose some nutritional value before the expiration date? I would be willing to wager that they won't be as good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!