Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand help

HayleyK

Reaction score
Pool filter sand. The finer and smoother the sand the better and preferably silica.

I've heard of people using crayola play sand with no effects but I've had no experience.

fireball99

Reaction score
Hi Pinky, I just got a bag of kids playsand, Sainsbury's do big bags of it for cheap. Before you stick it in the tank though put it in a bucket or something and rinse it loads to get as much of the dirt out as possible. I also found the playsand had very small bits of gravel in it so try and remove that if you find any.

It does look a little cloudy once you put it into the tank but that will settle, just make sure it's very well rinsed before it goes in. :happy:

layna

Reaction score
I got my sand from B&Q it was around £5 for a huge bag, like the size builders use haha! Its just childrens play sand, but it does need washing! fill about 1/4 bucket with sand then run water on/through it until the water is almost clear, then you can add it to your tank. Id advise you dont have your axies in there when you add it though as it floats all over for a while!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1