Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ID please tadpoles

Dixie

Reaction score
Hello guys. I was trying to open my above ground pool and discovered hundreds of tadpoles. I tried to ID them but know little about frogs. I live in Missouri and i am thinking they might be spring peepers or gray tree frog or copes gray treefrog but have come across several others that could be possible too. Curious if anyone else could help out and give possible info on the species. Thank you! I have many different pictures and can crop and zoom in and try to attach if it helps anyone, just let me know!

20180519_154607.jpg

20180519_154556.jpg

20180519_151459.jpg

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
They look similar to the Chorus frog tadpoles I used to raise, but it can be pretty hard to ID small tadpoles. They could also be American Toad tadpoles, they look similar to those as well. Are there any eggs still intact? That’s one of the easier ways to ID tadpoles.

Dixie

Reaction score
Not that im seeing. Im going to try to drain the pool this week and drain into a pond, i might be able to see eggs after that.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Can you get a closer picture of the tail and body? Tadpoles of all the tree frogs we have here in Minnesota (including spring peepers and chorus frogs) have highly speckled/sported/mottled tails.

Dixie

Reaction score
20180519_154610.jpg

20180519_154754.jpg

20180519_154619.jpg

20180519_154607.jpg

They seemed thay way to me. My camera is not that good and i apologize for that!

Tim25

Reaction score
I'm sure that it's American toad.The spawn of the American toad is distinctly different from that of frogspawn, because it is laid in long strings rather than amorphous blobs. Each separate egg will show a distinct black dot at the center, enabling you to count the number of eggs in a length of spawn string.

PhilbertCoffee

Reaction score
I'm sure that it's American toad.The spawn of the American toad is distinctly different from that of frogspawn, because it is laid in long strings rather than amorphous blobs. Each separate egg will show a distinct black dot at the center, enabling you to count the number of eggs in a length of spawn string.

How does a pair of breeding toads get into an above-ground pool though?:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!