Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Fair Pricing for Axolotls

When would you rather buy an axolotl?

• Adult (ready-made, least fragile)

Votes: 61 13.0%
  • Juvenile (less fragile, can still watch them grow)

Votes: 364 77.4%
  • Egg (less friendly to novices, can watch the whole development process)

Votes: 45 9.6%

• Total voters

electronfusion

Reaction score
I am looking into large-scale breeding and selling of axolotls, and would like to know what people think regarding pricing for axolotls.

1. What do you consider a fair price (for both breeder/seller and buyer) for an adult axolotl? Should this price include the full cost to produce said healthy adult, like a year worth of food, energy use, etc.? If not, why not?

2. If you were in the market to buy an adult axolotl, would you look to buy one at the "fair" price mentioned above, or look for one for less (not including "rescue" scenarios)?

3. Would factors like breeder's reputation, breeder's availability to answer questions, and breeder's recommendations for useful aquarium products, etc. influence how much you are willing to pay for an adult axolotl? By how much?

4. In general (and especially if you are new to caudates or axolotls), would you prefer to buy a "ready-made" adult axolotl, or a "do-it-yourself" egg or juvenile axolotl? Does initial price factor into this decision? Do you feel that one or the other option is more economical over-all?

5. If you had never cared for caudates or heard of axolotls, and stumbled upon a website that advertised a beautiful type of aquatic pet, and provided useful information and materials to get you started, how likely would you be to buy one of these animals from them? As an experienced caudate enthusiast and/or axolotl owner, would you consider buying from an outside website if it looked professional and legitimate?

electronfusion

Reaction score
It looks like one cannot attach multiple polls to a single thread.

Too bad.

I intended to format all 5 of my questions that way.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
OK... here is my shot at it.....

I am looking into large-scale breeding and selling of axolotls, and would like to know what people think regarding pricing for axolotls. I typically do not like "Large Scale" breeding. "Large" is subjective of course... but smaller breeders and hobbyists tend to care more about the animals and where they ultimately end up and less about cranking out critters.

1. What do you consider a fair price (for both breeder/seller and buyer) for an adult axolotl? Should this price include the full cost to produce said healthy adult, like a year worth of food, energy use, etc.? If not, why not? I have no idea. I will leave that to the experienced folks on this site.

2. If you were in the market to buy an adult axolotl, would you look to buy one at the "fair" price mentioned above, or look for one for less (not including "rescue" scenarios)? I would look at the reputation of the Breeder, the quality of the animals (and I'd ask around and look into both extensively), and then the price. If the prices are ridiculous (like buyaxolotls.com or whatever that outfit is called) and the quality questionable... then I take a pass.

3. Would factors like breeder's reputation, breeder's availability to answer questions, and breeder's recommendations for useful aquarium products, etc. influence how much you are willing to pay for an adult axolotl? By how much? It's a judgment call on the "useful products" as I research everything (and every suggestion) myself. But yeah... the Breeders Reputation means all to me. I've been around too many bad breeders and people trying to pass off WC or LTC Animals as CB, smuggling animals, keeping animals in terrible conditions, and generally just not having any idea what they are talking about.

4. In general (and especially if you are new to caudates or axolotls), would you prefer to buy a "ready-made" adult axolotl, or a "do-it-yourself" egg or juvenile axolotl? Does initial price factor into this decision? Do you feel that one or the other option is more economical over-all? I intend to buy 3-4 "well started" animals or possibly adults depending on their age and the breeder. Price doesn't matter when it comes to eggs or very young Axolotls. Free eggs or Larval animals won't make me destroy a clutch of eggs or animals if I don't think I know WTH I'm doing. And I frequently don't.

5. If you had never cared for caudates or heard of axolotls, and stumbled upon a website that advertised a beautiful type of aquatic pet, and provided useful information and materials to get you started, how likely would you be to buy one of these animals from them? Not at all without a LOT of independent research... and from multiple sources....and at least one as good as this site I would hope. I don't impulse buy... I've made that mistake in the past.As an experienced caudate enthusiast and/or axolotl owner, would you consider buying from an outside website if it looked professional and legitimate? I'm not very experienced in amphibians (phyllomedusa sauvagii and Darts)... but I've raised enough pets in general and reptiles in particular to know that a nice website means dwazzle if the people behind it are (and they frequently are) idiots, profiteers, crooks, or detritus of the sort that I would generally scrape off the bottom of my shoe.

Gavin Hunter

Reaction score
Since a lot of plants can be divided...one is a million! Axolotls, on the other hand Two are two million! K.I.S.S. nuff said. Gavin Hunter

Case

Reaction score
I am looking to buy juvenile Axolotls and from everything I have looked up 15 for a 3" seems fair.

jclee

Reaction score
I suggest that you ask around other animal-related forums, since this site's participants are often more informed and experienced than many of your customers will be. This population may not be representative of the general public that would encounter your website.

Best of luck.

Norcinu

Reaction score
I remember trying to tell my axolotls to a store once and they said they bought axolotls from breeders for AUS$5 each!

MunchBunny

Reaction score
Our newest addition (2 inch wild coloured) was 8 GBP, i thought this was reasonable

Crysta

Reaction score
i'd say very reasonable munchbunny.
My moomin (2.4" when bought) (who was VERY well looked after in the store [I LOVE THAT PET SHOP!]
was £14.99

I thought that was decent.

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
OUCH! I bought my Squishy, she was a baby only a couple inches long (they shipped her in an empty pop bottle) and she cost me $75. Well worth it as I love her to death, but I had no idea you could get them for such inexpensive prices!

wajatai

Reaction score
Hi I have about 250 baby axolotols three weeks old and I was told $15-$10 each for them to an aquarium.

Last edited by a moderator:

electronfusion

Reaction score
Hi I have about 250 baby axolotols three weeks old and I was told $15-$10 each for them to an aquarium.

FYI wajatai: Pet stores generally offer to buy axolotls and fish for about half (or much less) of what they believe they can sell them for. In other words, they estimate the current value of each of your axolotls at about $30.

Last edited by a moderator:

StaceyTadhg

Reaction score
Hi, at my local pet shops they sell adults for $30, the pet shop neer my sisters had young axies on ''special'' for $42 and in Adelaide i've seen them for $15.

sek

Reaction score
My axies were juvies when I got them. $38 each... from the pet shop

axiegaz

Reaction score
i got my two from a reputable pet shop in London www.KingsReptileWorld.co.uk for the sum of £20.00GBP each both were about 8 inches when i got them and in absolutley superb condition

by comparison, my local pet shop had three very sickly axies (damaged limbs and gills, tropical temps, etc) at the costly sum of 45GBP each for 3 inchers!!!

i decided the next day that despite the price i'd go give em a lecture on the correct care of axolotls and buy them but when i got there i was told by the assistant that someone had bought them - personally, given the condtion they were in i think they died.

crazyferret

Reaction score
Hi I sold my last batch of baby axies for 5GBP they wore around 12cm long.

I made sure all buyers knew how to care for them and i'm still in touch with them

zoezakella

Reaction score
I paid £18 for my golden albino, £15 for my leucistic (both Maidenhead Aquatics) and £25 for my Wild (Widmer Feeds) all were 4 inches long, hope that helps. Zoe

A

achiinto

I have to let you know that eastern Canada has place selling GFP for 400 Cad$. I have paid 200$ for leucestic. This is how importer mark up the price in Canada where there is no captive breed activity going for axolotl. I have to pay 2000$ for my current group for start breeding. I hope I will success in this.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
As a newbie, I didn't want to invest much money so I bought some eggs. I got a great deal and ended up with 18 animals now nearing six months old. Thanks to my generous suppliers, I ended up with an incredible assortment of animals (wild type, leucistic, golden, albino, and (recently discovered) GFP leucistic). I spent USD 39$ for all of these.

However, my wife and I invested an enormous amount of time and energy in raising them from the egg stage. So, it's definitely a question of how you're willing to spend your money. Since I don't have to account in my budget for the hours I spent collecting daphnia, etc to feed the hatchlings and the money I spent on all of the different types of foods that I bought 'just to see if they would like it' ends up in a different category, my mind thinks I got a great deal Let's see 39 dollars divided by 18 animals equals just a bit more than $2.00 each. That's a great deal.

Seriously, though, I don't think many people would invest the energy that I have into something they wanted for a pet. So, I think selling young animals is your best bet. Also, I think they're probably worth about $15 to $20 each at that stage (around 3 inches or so).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1