Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Food from Amazon?

Boxolotl

Reaction score
Where I live none of the pet shops sell axolotl food and so I am stuck using the internet as my shopping cart. I was wondering if there is any well known/decently priced food that I can buy for my axies, the breeder I am buying them from is feeding them "nightcrawlers" currently and over time I am going to wain them off of the nightcrawlers and on to pellets.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Invert-Aquat...=axolotl+food&qid=1562791362&s=gateway&sr=8-2

these are the pellets i use when my worm bin needs a break, warning: they smell like fish so much that the dog always begs when i pull them out :grin:
they soften pretty quick once they hit the water so i recommend using a siphon or turkey baster to remove any uneaten pellets, im still unsure about serving size so i feed about 5-8 pellets to my 6in juveniles depending on how hungry they seem.

Boxolotl

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Invert-Aquat...=axolotl+food&qid=1562791362&s=gateway&sr=8-2

these are the pellets i use when my worm bin needs a break, warning: they smell like fish so much that the dog always begs when i pull them out :grin:
they soften pretty quick once they hit the water so i recommend using a siphon or turkey baster to remove any uneaten pellets, im still unsure about serving size so i feed about 5-8 pellets to my 6in juveniles depending on how hungry they seem.

Thank you for the link, I'll give them a try

I will also try any other pellets in other replies....

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Thank you for the link, I'll give them a try

I will also try any other pellets in other replies....

the axolotl subreddit is a little more active for these sort of questions, i think the popularity of axolotls has gone down in recent years so this site can be a bit of a ghost town.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1