The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Reply

 

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Boxolotl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 8
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Boxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart etc

I am looking for the best priced sand at big name stores like Petsmart and Petco. I have read that you can use sand from like Lowes and Home Depot but before I pull out the dough I want to make sure what I read is accurate. Also play sand is ok? I have read that as well.

I have a 40+ gal tank that I am setting up for my first axies ever. I am getting them at the end of July which leaves me plenty of time to set it up and cycle the water and make sure everything is "perfectly balanced" like Thanos may say. I am also doing fake plants (except moss balls) and some.... ghost shrimp? something to help keep the water/tank clean.



Boxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
KumquatSquats
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 112
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart ect

sand is pretty much just various sizes and colors of silica, play sand and pool filter sand are often cheaper than the stuff at pet-shops. they just need to be rinsed to remove the small particulates, play sand needs more washing then pool sand.

if you can get some hardy real plants it will help your tank cycle and need less water changes but silk plants are ok too. marimos are super easy to take care of and i have a bunch myself so i encourage you to get a good number of them if thats the only live plant you get.



KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Locke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 23
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumquatSquats View Post
sand is pretty much just various sizes and colors of silica, play sand and pool filter sand are often cheaper than the stuff at pet-shops. they just need to be rinsed to remove the small particulates, play sand needs more washing then pool sand.

if you can get some hardy real plants it will help your tank cycle and need less water changes but silk plants are ok too. marimos are super easy to take care of and i have a bunch myself so i encourage you to get a good number of them if thats the only live plant you get.
java moss and java fern does well without substrate as well



Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Boxolotl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 8
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Boxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
java moss and java fern does well without substrate as well
Yeah, I looked into that and was really tempted to get some java plants.... don't you have to trim them or can you let them just grow out?

me and my family have tried to keep plants in fish tanks before (its been about 10 years since then) and they just never survived.... I'll try my hand at it and see if I can keep them alive



Boxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
KumquatSquats
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 112
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxolotl View Post
Yeah, I looked into that and was really tempted to get some java plants.... don't you have to trim them or can you let them just grow out?

me and my family have tried to keep plants in fish tanks before (its been about 10 years since then) and they just never survived.... I'll try my hand at it and see if I can keep them alive
Java fern grows pretty easy, not much to trim really so much as separate baby buds once they get big enough (and even then if you forget they eventually pop off on their own). java fern will actually rot if planted so it has to be glued or tied down to something or it can float around the tank freely (which is what one of mine is doing now)

anubias also grows well without substrate, it grows in a chain-type structure so when it gets bushy you can just snip it into sections along the main stem. these two are popular with axolotl tanks for a few reasons, 1) they like cold and dark water well enough to survive and 2) they are hard to kill



KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #6
Boxolotl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 8
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Boxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumquatSquats View Post
Java fern grows pretty easy, not much to trim really so much as separate baby buds once they get big enough (and even then if you forget they eventually pop off on their own). java fern will actually rot if planted so it has to be glued or tied down to something or it can float around the tank freely (which is what one of mine is doing now)

anubias also grows well without substrate, it grows in a chain-type structure so when it gets bushy you can just snip it into sections along the main stem. these two are popular with axolotl tanks for a few reasons, 1) they like cold and dark water well enough to survive and 2) they are hard to kill
So I got the tank in and its bigger than I remember from childhood. Its 75 gal.

I have gotten some mini dwarf hair grass, a java fern, and 3 moss balls. I also heard that ghost shrimp can go in tanks with them? Haven't gotten any yet but was tempted to yesterday.

Once I get the sand I need I am going to cycle my tank a few times to get rid of any nasty bits from being in storage for 6 years.



Boxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #7
Kingfisher
Member
 
Kingfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 66
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kingfisher has started on the right path
Default Re: Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart etc

I would leave out any other type of creature in the tank. There's a good chance that your axolotl will try to eat the shrimp and may possibly cause compaction.



Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #8
KumquatSquats
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 112
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Best Sand Substrate Carried by Petsmart etc

ghost shrimp are fine with adult 'lotls, just know that they are temporary cleaners and future snacks.

shrimp shouldn't cause impaction in a healthy individual as its part of their natural diet, it shouldn't be the main food source but along with worms and other soft bodied insects it can be a part of a balanced axy diet.



KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sand, substrate, tank set up

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sand substrate Ace Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate 2 26th July 2014 18:28
Sand -> No Substrate? Mintee Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate 3 5th November 2010 09:17
Sand substrate bryce Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate 2 17th March 2007 09:03
Sand substrate louise Axolotl General Discussion 1 15th February 2007 12:16
Sand substrate, or no substrate nina Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate 2 28th December 2006 02:01


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35.