Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: A few issues before the tank mates meet.

Visi

Reaction score
I currently have 2 juveniles Axolotls a leucistic (Phantom) and a wild-type with green and black marbling (Muppet). Their sizes are not too different (about 7cm and 9cm respectively), but this also means they're pretty young to be roommates. I've had Phantom for four months and she (assuming for no reason) was super happy to get a 40L tank of her own with plants about a month ago.

I got Muppet in the mail about a month ago and he's been chilling in Phantom's old 6.5L tank while he's in quarantine.

Health issues:

Phantom: I went on vacation for a couple weeks two months ago and Phantom's gills had shrunk while she was staying with my friend. She was probably stressed from the small size of the tank she was in for that time, and I don't know how the temperature was while I was gone. Her gills have not come back very well, and they seem to be growing better on one side more than the other.

Muppet: When he got here, the end of his tail looked like it had been cut (or bitten) off. He fully grew it back within two weeks, but I worry he might not take kindly to having a tank mate.

I have put the separator in the big tank, but I haven't put Muppet in there yet.

Also, the tank is sized a little differently (it has a pronounced lip on the inside and is slightly wider than standard), so the tank separator is a little smaller than it should be. Is there anything I can do to fix these issues?

I really want my axolotls to be friends eventually. What advice can you give me to make the tank as comfy as I can for the both of them?

Mr Feathergill

Reaction score
Now, I'm no expert, but if you put both axies in the tank with plenty of places to hide and make sure they are on a full stomach before entering, I, personally would just put both of them in at opposite ends of the tank and watch them closely.

If they fight you can simply put the divider in( even if there are small gaps as long as the axie can't fit through you should be ok) and you can always try again, but some axies are just too territorial.

Just a reassuring note, I have three new axies in the same tank with no probs so far!

Hope it goes well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!