How I safely feed crickets

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read a lot about crickets biting salamanders (and other herps). What I do is crush all of the legs. My fire salamanders don't grab them quite as quick since they don't move as much, but they are usually gone within a few hours or by the next morning. It's pretty rare that a cricket doesn't move enough to grab their attention at some point. For a pickier eater, you could just remove a portion of the legs to slow them down enough to make them an easy catch and also to make it easier for the salamander to avoid it if needed. I still only leave 1-2 in the tank at a time but I have not had any issues thus far.

This is interesting. I feed my fire salamanders worms and slugs as a staple , which they have no problems with. Perhaps you could try feeding them worms instead?

Stuart

I do not bother even doing that. Aside from not wanting to crush their legs as I feel it is cruel, my tiger salamanders eat them before they even get anywhere. I feed them enough to fill them, as well as some left over. I have decorations in the tank too the crickets like to hide in, which they much prefer to hanging around the salamanders. I also keep a small amount of cricket food in the tank so they live longer. I have never once had an issue with crickets biting my salamanders, but I make sure not too add too many so they do not get overwhelmed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back