Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: The Complete Encyclopedia of Terrarium (Eugène Bruins)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Complete Encyclopedia of Terrarium by Eugène Bruins
(The Netherlands: Rebo International, 1999.) 320 pages.

This is a general book describing many creatures that one might keep in a terrarium. It is on the order of this one http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53883 , but from Chip’s review, I think this might be the better one (320 pp vs. 224, though this isn’t the reason why).
Introductory chapters present information on acquiring animals in general. There are some very good points to consider--what questions to ask yourself before you bring home a pet, how to decide if you're interested in a certain animal, care and supplies to expect to supply, longevity, and others. The book presents the basics before you decide if you want to learn more about a certain species, or type of animal, and proceed toward ownership. He also describes various housing types and types of terraria-- indoor, outdoor, water, desert, etc., and he describes basic equipment that will be necessary to acquire to set up and keep them. The book has fairly small print and really packs in the info.
There is also a chapter on terrarium animal foods, which blurs the line between some of the foods and pets represented in this book! For example, roaches, grasshoppers, and crickets are represented in both sections. I was amazed at what all people might consider to keep as pets, and fascinated to learn about what they involve. Stick insects, praying mantises, rhinoceros beetles-- I can see someone at a mass evacuation insisting, "I'm not leaving the house without my tumblebug, Fred!" And I always wondered what it took to keep a tarantula. Not that I'm going there.

There's also a section on reptiles and amphibians, 83 pages of reptiles, and 30 pages of amphibians, of which six are on caudates. This book has more pages on scorpions than on salamanders, but the author admits that the book is bug-heavy as there is less information on arthropods generally available. General information goes to page 57; insects and arachnids to p. 185. Reptiles from 186-269, and amphibians from 270-299. There is a bibliography, but no resources (i.e. websites) (i.e. our website).
The information is good, and in six pages, it gives an excellent idea of what you would be in for if you chose to keep caudates. The species highlighted are axolotls, cynops, notos, and waltls--not a bad choice at all. If the quality of a caudate section is any indicator, it is a pretty good book. And it has lots of pictures.

This is a general information book and I'm glad I have it to refer to; it’ll come in really handy next time that hot guy at work asks me to pick him up some Madagascar roaches at the reptile expo and hold them for him until he gets back from vacation. I would have been better prepared had I had this book to refer to. Not that I'm going back to the Gigantic Roaches anyway, unless of course, HE asks again....;)

I can't figure out exactly what the intended market for this book was. The author is from the Netherlands as is the book. I'm surprised that it's in English and isn't a translation (if it is, nowhere does it admit to that). Anyway, I bought this book from Edward R. Hamilton for $4.95 (all you can buy for one low s/h price of $3.50). You can't imagine how much money I have given this Edward over the years. If you go to the website, be sure to click on "related titles"... and keep clicking, and clicking...
http://www.edwardrhamilton.com/titles/6/2/5/6256473.html

It is also available from Amazon starting at $4.68 (minimum s/h $3.99).
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242504182&sr=8-5

Attachments

• BruinsCover.jpg
    BruinsCover.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,031

freves

Reaction score
The Complete Encyclopedia of Terrarium by Eugène Bruins
(The Netherlands: Rebo International, 1999.) 320 pages.

I like this book as well. I have an older edition (I think -at least the cover is different). In any case, for a multi species book it is not too bad. I was under the impression that it was a translated work however and this is only because some of the grammar seemed off in sections, like one would see when using one of those internet translators. I have often seen it on the bargain tables at Books a Million and Barnes and Noble.
Chip

Last edited by a moderator:

natureneil

Reaction score
it is indeed a fantastic book and although I brought it for the "giant roaches" and stick insects it inspired me to get ribbed newts, caecellians and the fantastic rough green snake! So beware the risk of being tempted to expand your collections. The book is translated but not noticably so, for readers in the UK I have a link to it in amazon from my aquarium and terrarium site www.Bombina.co.uk but be warned the price and availibility varies from £1 to £80 so shop smart and look in discount book shops as they often have it along with other cheap natural history books

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!