Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Splendid book on Crested Newts, now in english!!!

sergé

Reaction score
Dear all.,

just received the message that a monograph on Crested Newts (Triturus cristatus and lot's of data on all it's sisterspecies) has been translated into english from the german original.
As I was truly very pleased witht the german edition I would like to recommend it to you. There is lot's of info on all aspects of the species but mostly on it's ecology.

Robert Jehle, Burkhard Thiesmeier & Jim Foster

The Crested Newt
A dwindling pond dweller
February 2011, 152 pages, with 62 Figures, 14 Tables and 16 Colour plates
Br, 15 x 21 cm, ISBN 978-3-933066-44-2

More informations under
The Crested Newt - Laurenti-Verlag Online-Shop

Cheers, Sergé Bogaerts

sergé

Reaction score
Just to add....just received the book and it has been added with a lot of new information especially on crested newt conservation in the UK. It has only become better :)

caleb

Reaction score
I've had this for a while now, and it is indeed as good as Serge said. There's more information than I expected on the species other than T. cristatus, including details of macedonicus and arntzeni, and some good photos of all the species and their habitat.

It's very interesting to read about some of the research that's been done on the continent- this has been pretty much ignored in recent English-language publications on European herpetofauna.

A couple of minor niggles are that it's a little frustrating that quite a few of the references are to unpublished (or in-press) work, and it's very annoying indeed that there's no index!

The BHS seem to think that the first print run will sell out imminently... so if you want one, order it soon!

crevalle

Muted
Reaction score
The company I work for sent me to Ireland for a couple months to work, so I've been doing some herping while out here. I've been wanting to find a Crested newt as I know it's their breeding season, but from what I understand, they're few and far between in Ireland. But, I'll keep searching, and will get a copy of this book. Thanks for the info.

caleb

Reaction score
I've been wanting to find a Crested newt as I know it's their breeding season, but from what I understand, they're few and far between in Ireland.

Smooth newts are the only newt species native to Ireland- I'm not sure if there are any introductions of crested newts, but it seems unlikely that you'll come across one.

The easiest way to see smooth newts is to visit their ponds at night with a torch/flashlight, if that helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!