Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Undercover Pet Shop starring Pondweed!

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
Well gravel is a definite no. And recommending a 5ft tank for two was probably just good business sense on his part!

Some axolotls are fussy and some aren't. As far as filters go a safe bet would be a sponge filter that runs off a normal air line as they create no current at all and filter the water biologically, as opposed to mechanically. But saying that, there have been some great threads on here about axolotls who seem to like stronger currents and actually seem to enjoy playing in them! Another option is to attach a spray bar to disperse the flow of water from the outlet of a filter and direct the spray against the side of the tank. I used that for ages in my 3ft but stopped because an internal filter can raise the temperature in the tank by a couple of degrees and although that doesn't sound like much it can be a real problem in the summer months.

Now I use these

Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air 2831 | eBay

pondweed

Reaction score
Well gravel is a definite no. And recommending a 5ft tank for two was probably just good business sense on his part!

Some axolotls are fussy and some aren't. As far as filters go a safe bet would be a sponge filter that runs off a normal air line as they create no current at all and filter the water biologically, as opposed to mechanically. But saying that, there have been some great threads on here about axolotls who seem to like stronger currents and actually seem to enjoy playing in them! Another option is to attach a spray bar to disperse the flow of water from the outlet of a filter and direct the spray against the side of the tank. I used that for ages in my 3ft but stopped because an internal filter can raise the temperature in the tank by a couple of degrees and although that doesn't sound like much it can be a real problem in the summer months.

Now I use these

Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air 2831 | eBay

What about chemical filtration? I haven't got my head around the three types yet. I know an external canister filter is supposed to be the best, but most expensive.

I wonder if the one in the shop was enjoying it - he kept swimming against it, scrabbling on the glass floor, being pushed into the corner - but then ended up on top of the filter!

( Marbled was a good description for wild-type, only for some reason, it makes me think of chocolate. Chocolate colour axolotl. )

The guy advised as powerful filter as you could get, and said given the size of tank, it wouldn't create much flow at all (if he was still thinking of the five foot, you'd need something that could cope with a large volume of water!), especially with a spray bar/water fall. So, are power and flow different things, then?

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
The only filters I can really comment on are the one's I've actually used. I don't know anything about chemical filtration- I don't think I've heard of it actually!
I do know that no kind of filter will substitute frequent water changes and prompt removal of waste and uneaten food - you have to do this manually as a filter won't do it for you. Some people keep axolotls successfully with no filter at all and really on frequent water changes alone.

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
It sounds like the axolotl in the shop wasn't enjoying the strong current and was sitting on top of the filter as that's where the current was weakest. Mine like sitting on top of their sponge filters and having jacuzzis in the bubbles.

pondweed

Reaction score
Axolotls definitely know how to live the high life, provided the right opportunity!

Sponges sound like a good idea because they must provide a lot of space for bugs to work on the ammonia.

I intend to have a lot of plants, which means I'd need a light, which means I'd need lots of hides!

hannahll

Reaction score
Hey! Now let's see if i can be of any help.
I have a sponge filter in my tank along with a hang on the back filter but i wouldn't recommend having only a sponge filter especially if the tank is larger than a few gallons. I've found that every hang on the back filter has had an incredibly strong current.
What i do to disperse the flow is this!
It's a turtle rock underneath the filter :D
hannahll-albums-toothless-all-grown-up-picture27750-226492-10151336859180966-833692548-n.jpg

There are also filters that have an adjustable flow rate jsyk.

pondweed

Reaction score
Does a hang-on-the-back filter have the same issue of heating the tank a couple of degrees? I'm trying to figure out how you're propping that rock up, if it's near the top of the tank—magic?? xD (Or is it held on by those suckers?) Is it noisy?

Thank you Hannah. : ) It wasn't my intention to be annoying, but I came across like it. (And yeah, given that you can be told in books you can have gravel, and if the pet shop staff aren't looking up on the internet, it's easy to see how misinformation can spread.)

hannahll

Reaction score
I really don't think they do. They're very very common and i know many people have them in their axie tanks. And the rock is actually very light! So it floats :) but it does have suction cups so it stays in one place! I also find them to be quite soothing. They do make noise when the water gets lower, but it's like a water fall noise :p i like it a lot. My air pump is what makes a ton of noise D:
Oh & by the way, my axolotl Toothless used to struggle to get across the tank, but every since i got the current dispersed, he floats around freely :D he's a lot happier.
& no worries, it's just a hard job, you have no idea.

pondweed

Reaction score
Like a mini water-feature sound? That must be pretty soothing. (The tank would have to be in my bedroom. But sometimes I have the radio set to rain noise when I can't sleep, anyway. So maybe it'll be soporific.)

The air pump oxygenates the water, right? If you had some established plants, you wouldn't need as much of that? (My plan - but as I said, likely to go wrong. xD I expect I'll get Axie gardeners who rearrange everything.)

I knew SOMEONE had to have one called Toothless! That's the way I've been trying to explain them to my Dad; Toothless was based on Axolotls. And now I know there are wild-type colourations, it's even more apparent! (I used to think they were all white, like Texas blind salamander, or Olms, or albino frogs.)

Thank you. : ) Do you work there every day, or are you at college as well?

hannahll

Reaction score
Plants do put oxygen in the water but they're also really messy. Plus i've found that a lot of axolotls like their air stones quite a bit! :) + lotls uproot plants frequently

I have been working there 5/7 days a week while going to college. Back when i was in high school i would work 3-4 days a week there.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Plants do put oxygen in the water but they're also really messy. Plus i've found that a lot of axolotls like their air stones quite a bit! :) + lotls uproot plants frequently

I have been working there 5/7 days a week while going to college. Back when i was in high school i would work 3-4 days a week there.

Mine love the airstone! Once my tank is established there will be one in the tank as well. I find them both huddled around it sleeping(i think?) all the time

Quentari

Reaction score
Mine love the airstone! Once my tank is established there will be one in the tank as well. I find them both huddled around it sleeping(i think?) all the time

Mine uses the airstone to float to the top! I've caught her doing it over and over like it's a game :grin:

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
Go for it! Actually there's an axolotl group on Facebook too. Axolotl-Aholics. Very friendly you shoid join.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but i find this to be ridiculous. Going around to pet shops and asking questions to quiz them? I work at a pet store, and i have people like you come in and quiz me on this kind of stuff all the time and it really bothers me. From my stand point, yes, i do believe that pet shop workers should have a good amount of knowledge, but we all say different things. We all have heard different things from customers and the internet.
But when someone comes into a pet shop, they shouldn't be relying on someone to tell them every single detail, okay? I openly tell customers that i cannot tell them every detail or what exactly would be right, therefore they need to read up on that critter. I can say that each one of us has our own strengths though. One girl is very knowledgable in saltwater while another knows everything about hermit crabs. It's not like pet shop workers took some animal science classes in order to work a minimum wage job. So what i'm going to tell you is you're asking for too much from someone who is getting paid very little to know a whole lot. Misleading information is unfortunate, but i just don't think it's fair for someone to interrogate someone who is obviously trying.
And that is my rant.

Anyone who sells an animal should be able to provide at least the basic care information to keep it healthy. I am not blaming individual shop workers but the owners, as the onus is on them to do their research and train their staff.

pondweed

Reaction score
Some really great things!

I went back in today, because I wanted to ask which fish were safe to keep with them again —I couldn't remember what he'd said, and was wondering whether it might be a good idea to cycle a tank with some small fish that could double as a welcome to your new home! present— and he said he couldn't remember, so went to look it up, and said the advice was not to, actually. Oh, and that people do keep two together. But in as large a tank as you can. So it's clear the shop does its research. I feel bad for being so quick to think negatively. (Also, if they're researching care advice, and some people still think gravel's okay... well, it's sad, but understandable!)

It also looked like the filter in the "marbled" (s/he is a very pretty speckled thing with a light brown base) axolotl's tank was on a lower setting. S/he wasn't being blown about anymore, and was lazily sitting still and made a big yawn while I watched.

I brought some bird food to put in the garden. This ongoing cold can't be doing them any favours.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!