Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heating for salamandra enclosure?

Nuclear Herps

Reaction score
How would I heat my salamandra terreteris outdoor enclosure when it gets below 0c? Btw I have an outdoor power sorce but its a good 15ft from the location of enclosure

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you will need it as long as they have somewhere reasonably deep, underground to go to. I have kept mine outdoors all year round for a few years now, around Autumn time I add a deep layer of leaves inside their enclosure and also around their enclosure. However, if we ever get a particularly harsh winter, I would remove them and bring them into a cool room indoors.

This is a link to my enclosure :- http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...8-introducing-my-salamandra-s-terrestris.html

Blackbun

Reaction score
I agree with Julia totally. I keep terrestris and fastuosa in an outside enclosure. No heating provided. As Julia says, allow the animals to get underground away from the surface. Mine have little cavities made with small logs and thick bark overlaid with ten inches of responsibly sourced leaf mould over which a thick layer of semi decomposed oak, beech and sweet chestnut leaves are placed. Terrestris certainly is active even at 7C as can be seen when they come to the surface whereas my fastuosa seems to prefer it a little milder. If I expect a very heavy frost or snow, I place a folded hessian sack over the lid just in case. My big concern would be rapid swings in temperatures if the enclosure rceived a lot of sun light as a -6C night could easily become +something very quickly and I'd not want my animals dormant one moment and active a few hours later only to be faced with another cold night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!