Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much should an axolotl be fed?

DelilahD

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Delilah, and I am new to the forum. I am considering an axolotl and I joined to learn more about them from ya'll experienced owners. My biggest question is, how much do axolotls eat? I have been able to find out what axolotls eat, but not so much how much they should be fed in terms that I am accustomed to (teaspoons, tablespoons). Also I've noticed that most people don't seem to feed their axolotles every single day. I'm used to owning pets that require food being prepared for them every single day, so the idea of feeding your pet on a less frequent basis is foreign to me. I'd love to hear your input.
Take care!
Delilah

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Hi Delilah, welcome to the forum! :)
I'm a fairly new owner but I always heard the general rule of thumb would be to feed the little guy what they can eat in about two minutes!
I've got three juveniles and they can easily go through two to four cubes of frozen bloodworms a day (between all three, not each) plus my older two like sinking carnivore pellets! :)
Once they become adults I've heard most people feed them every other day, but I'm sure someone who is a little more experienced than myself with the adult axolotls will be able to tell you more about it! :)

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Larvae and Juvenile Axolotls will eat multiple times a day. For larvae I use live food, ideally daphnia, this can be left in their containers with them all day everyday so there is a consistent supply of food. For juveniles I use a mixture of daphnia and bloodworm, as soon as the axolotl reaches 3 inches I begin feeding additional tiny pieces of earth worm.

Adults do not require feeding everyday, some keepers feed once or twice a week, some feed every other day. When feeding Adults you want watch the weight of the Axolotl to make sure it is not getting to fat from over feeding, rule of thumb is that the body is the same width as the head. Axolotls can go days or weeks without feeding and that is likely their experiences in the wild.

One of my Axolotl is just over a year old, he spent a month without food while trying to move him onto earthworms from pellets because he was so stubborn and refused the worms everyday. ( He now eats earthworms )

I now feed him once or twice a week about 2-3 earthworms cut in half until he begins to refuse them.

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi Delilah and welcome to the forum. :happy:
I have 3 juveniles which I feed twice a day. Usually up to one earthworm (or equivalent) twice a day. The wild type is now 7 inches and the coppers are both a bit smaller.
My 3 males, each around 10 - 11 inches, who all matured over Easter, are still currently being fed daily, but are being slowly moved to larger meals less frequently. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1