Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Fatal Disease Please Help

Dragonflamess

Reaction score
Hello everyone. In my previous thread (sick or possibly morphing axolotl) I explained a sickness that my axolotl Ziggy was experiencing. I have had two leucistic axolotls about two years. A few months ago, I came across a wild type axolotl in a pet shop. It had been refusing to eat and was very skinny. Because I had successfully kept my leucistics I thought I might be able to get it healthy again. I named her Toothless. However, she just got sicker and deveveloped a fungus on it gills after months living on the brink of death. The axolotl died. Then, as I explained in my previous thread, my axolotl Ziggy stopped eating. He got worse and worse. Red veins appeared all over his body and fungus developed on his gills. I know this isn’t an ordinary fungus infection. Salt baths had no effects and the red veins showing through his skin spread. He died as well. One thing I noticed was that when they died, the white fungus turned red. Now I only have one axolotl, Snowflake. When she stopped eating, we realised she was going to die as well. As one last attempt we went against all advice and did a 100% water change and put her in another tank to remove the disease from the water. This was the best thing we could have done. She began eating again, the red veins receded and she looked healthy. But now, after a few months, she’s turning red again. I’ve also noticed the small rocks we use for substrate that she has never eaten before are showing up in her poo. She still has a vicious appetite and no fungus but I don’t know what to do. I know that I need to remove the rocks but what do I replace them with. When she and her brother Ziggy were healthy I fed them every second day but since Snowflake recovered I fed her every day in case if she stopped eating. Now she’s starting to get fat but if I don’t feed her for a day she hides in the corner behind the filter and refuses to come out. The waters temperature generally stays between 15 and 20 degrees. Water quality isn’t the problem because I know she has a disease brought by the wild type. Please help me. I don’t want to lose Snowflake. If you know what I can do or the disease she is suffering from please reply.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Can you post some photos of her, and the water parameters? Even if they didn't cause the initial problem if there's any issues it can contribute to her health. Were you able to get to a vet about your other axolotls to find out what the disease was?
Yes remove the rocks, you don't have to replace them with anything but if you want substrate use sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!