Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Keeper

Kristenna

Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to Axolotl keeping and would love to get some advice on keeping these magnificent creatures. I currently house my two Axolotl's in a 40 gal Breeder tank. I had it cycled for a couple weeks with a fluval hang on filter that I use for my Jack Dempsey. Before my Axolotl's arrived I put a 60 gal sponge filter in for low flow of water I currently don't run any lights except for the picture obviously. I have a set of 4 fans that run above the aquarium to keep the temperature at 64-67 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using fine sand as a substrate from Carib sea I rinsed the sand many times before putting it in. I have two other aquarium's so I am familiar with the parameters needed for Axolotl's and all seems great there. When my Axolotl's arrived they were a tad smaller than I anticipated being around 3-4 inches was worried about limbs being bitin off and what not. They are eating every day bloodworms and I have tried with no success cut up night crawlers. I would love to hear some advice or suggestions from other experienced keepers.

I have recently ordered some carnivorous pellets
A tank divider
And a sponge to possibly use on a hang on filter if needed in the future
(from amazon waiting a couple days to arrive)

Attachments

• IMG_5800.jpg
    IMG_5800.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5823.jpg
    IMG_5823.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 235

NidiaNz

Reaction score
Hi, as they are little, you run the risk of impaction with them being on sand, 5+ inches is the recommended size for lotls to be on sand, I've found it's hard to get them off bloodworms, so what I did was add small bits of Repashy grub pie and small pellets to their piles of bloodworms, then I would increase the amount of the food I wanted them to eat.

Feeding them like that on a plate would work better and will limit the amount of sand they are ingesting.

Kristenna

Reaction score
Thank you for your response! :happy:I do have a dish that I feed in inside the tank would you recommend any changes in supstrate at this point to possibly bare bottom? They arrived on 9/6 and I have have seen both eat from the dish daily at this point. Before acclamating them in separate tubs apon arrival I did a feeding and a overall look over and they both ate immediately they seem healthy to me but I would love a more experienced view as well I did notice both seem to have sustained a possible injury maybe due to sibling canibalism both in the feet region. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Attachments

• IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5817.jpg
    IMG_5817.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 228
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!