Taricha larvae housing

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Hey. I have some taricha larvae from 2,5cm to 3cm. They are in good health but i wanted to speed up their growing. I have made in my garden 7 ponds each one with 60-70liters. There are many tiny live food like, daphnia, moina, mosquito larvae, bloodworms.. all alive. I have done similar treatment for my triturus and cynops larvae with super great results:famous: but I don't know if taricha will do fine in such tipe of environment. I´m planing just to do it for a month or two. Then i´m planing to take them out and then they will be much bigger and stronger and it will be more easyer to treat and morph (since they will get very big). I have never had many experience with taricha so, what do you guys think about putting them in a pond like this:

_MG_6087.jpg

_MG_6098.jpg

thanks,

looks great... I typically see morphed juvies and adults in rocky stream beds but I know they like deeper water with vegetation that act as "nurseries" for their larva...
These mini-ponds look great.
Taricha are pretty hardy (I have see them walking around in sunny 80-90 degree weather in stream beds near where I live). I'd say those tubs are more than adequate...

Hey men, thanks, appreciate and i´m happy if it does for. Has i said, mi intention is to put small larvae in there to give a speed boost in their growth. i think that in 2-3 weeks a centimenter can be added to their bodies:happy:, and the bigger, the better, witch means they can eat more easly, and morph quickly too. thanks again,

Jorgo

it's neat to see something that I find by the hundreds appreciated by people who live in other parts of the world. They really are beautiful as adults and very "showy" and active for caudates. they are fearless little critters that seem to know the toxin they carry is more than a match for any predators...

seeing your set ups make me want to build a pond in my yard and start a Taricha colony.

haha, so make it! I´d love to see pics from such a pond. These are vry small and I jsut use for larvae, since they can morph and run. But I have a pond with the size of a swiming pool... dont know how many galons or liters but many. the point is that it haves some parts with 2 meters of deepth, and it is open, it enters always new water (some 20L/s) from a stream that i own:D and it gets out for a tube to a river:confused:. Thats why i can´t put anything there:rolleyes: but trust me any newt would love it!
I will post some photos later on.

yeah... you don't want to introduce invasive species, I understand. That would not be a problem for me because taricha are native here... The pond of my dreams will have to stay a dream until I stop moving around so much for shcool and can invest in my own yard...

Yeah.. I will have to move too... soon.. University:rolleyes:.
Well here just some pics of my Giga-pond.
_MG_3832.jpg

_MG_3827.jpg

_MG_3833.jpg

_MG_3839.jpg

Well technically its not mine is in my godfather property but he made it because he knows i like this kind of things and he had loads of water running in his fields, were I live there is much water abundance and its just be smart enough to accept nature presents:D
I cant put nothing there or I would lose the newts and they would escape and be eaten by many fishes. there are many Rana perezi and Anax imperator in that pond. With a big fish net i have caugh 1/2kg of Anax imperator larvae. Its a productive water mass.:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back