Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GFP vs Non-GFP?

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm looking into getting my first axolotl, and I've had my eyes on the golden albino color variety. I then heard about GFP in axolotls, and I think it sounds fascinating. However, I was wondering how the GFP affects how the axolotls look under normal light. Would a golden albino with GFP still look golden, or would it have a greenish hue? Also, does the presence of GFP have any negative health effects on the axolotl?

Thanks!

AuraCantos

Reaction score
Here is a youtube video to show you what Axolotls look like that are GFP.

YouTube - Glowing Axolotls Under the Black/Blue light
YouTube - axolotl normal And under a normal light. Around :11, you can see almost a stripe of green running down it's back. This seems to be a leucisit, so I think a Golden would show similar coloring, though maybe not as obvious.

If I'm not mistaken, there aren't any serious health risks associated with GFP itself. I think the most damaging part of it would be excessive use of the black/blue lights to show it.. Using the black/blue lights too much can burn the axolotl's retinas, if I remember right. I believe that most of the GFP-axies now are only in green, though there have been rumors of labs using Blue and Red GFP axies in research.

AuraCantos

Reaction score
That, I don't know. I'm quite new to axies myself, and have not personally used the blue lights, nor do I own a GFP Axie. I'll leave that to someone more experienced and who's been around longer. :p

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That second youtube is one of my gfps that Darren from Weblinc has. I think they look best under bright daylight lighting. The black light is cool but not practical to use to much. To get a good effect the room should be dark with only a bright black light on the tank.

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Thanks! I noticed that there was blue light in the video as well. Would a blue LED light or a moonlight (like those found here) cause them to fluoresce? Are the blue lights safer than the blacklights? Thanks again!

dragonlady

Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have a GFP wildtype and a GFP melanoid from Michael. I have to say that their colors are rather distinctive even in natural lighting. Under regular lighting, their eyes are a brilliant emerald green and my wild has a lovely greenish hue throughout. [I have pics on my profile page in this album (the leucistic is a normal from Michael)]

Axolotls in general, are not fond of lights, especially as adults, so I would not recommend keeping them under a black light for any prolonged amount of time at all but rather for a few minutes or so if you want to "show them off." Another recommendation I would make would be to only put the light at one end of the tank so that he/she could get away from it at will.

The moonlight type light has been used with other caudates on this forum without issue as far as I know. I don't know if it would be enough to cause fluorescence but it doesn't seem to cause undue stress in the animals I have seen it used with.

bunny27

Reaction score
I have a GFP leucistic axolotl and they look kind of yellow-greenish in normal lighting and their eyes are green when the sunlight hits on their eyes or if you're using flash camera, it'll turn green in those pictures. Sometimes, you don't even need a black light for them too look green. I've only turned on the black light when I want to show them off, like what Shannon said, and that's usually only for a couple of minutes. Other than that, I don't use the black light. I hope you can make a decision on which one you like and good luck on your first axie :) .

oceanblue

Reaction score
I haven't any practical experience in GFP axolotls but some knowledge of bioluminescence. As far as I can see the light production of ordinary blue LEDs is of a frequency which hits the peak of exitation of the green fluorescent protein (which in the jellyfish is stimulated by blue luminescence).

Blue light is less ionising and less damaging than ultra violet which risks sunburn and cancer induction in the skin and tissues of any creature. Try the blue!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1