Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving to a new tank!

JayFaye

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I just bought a new tank (and new sand) for Toothless and am wondering what's the best/fastest way to get the new tank cycled. I don't really want to use fish for cycling...
I know putting my existing filter into it can jump start the cycling process, but then Toothless will be left without a filter, and unless it gets cycled within a couple days I don't really want to leave her without one. I'm also hoping to get a new sponge filter though, so maybe if I put that into my existing tank and get it cycled through I could have a filter to put in the new one?

But anyway! Suggestions?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Usually you can just move the filter to the new tank and call it done. Yes, you should monitor the ammonia etc closely after you do this, but most of the good bacteria should be in the filter, so as long as you don't do something silly, like overfeeding, the filter should be able to handle the the new tank even before the bacteria colonize the tank surfaces and substrate..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!