Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 Males bumping each other.

Kirzzin

Reaction score
I have 2 Males and a female. They've all reached sexual maturity in the last month. However, my males who never bother the female are always at each other's "areas" whether it's bumping, lifting eachother up by their noses or as I can only describe it as snow plowing eachother across the tank with their nose in the others groin. They're not biting or fighting I don't think. I've searched online why they do this, but Google has given me some pretty scary results when I google "male axolotls bumping groins" haha
FB_IMG_1461773167452.jpg

auntiejude

Reaction score
Re: 2 Males bumping eachother.

You have to remember that axolotls aren't very smart. Male axies are opportunists and will court any other axie. Even kept on their own the will put down spermatophores just in case a random female happens to swim past and take a fancy to one.

In other words - it's normal.

Donna001

Reaction score
Re: 2 Males bumping eachother.

It happens so much in the tank that houses my 3 mature male axolotls, along with them producing spermatophores on multiple occasions, that I've joked with friends that I'm going to get them a glitter ball and a rainbow flag. :happy:

tipnatee

Reaction score
Glitter ball and rainbow flag ... I sprayed coffee out of nose on my iPad reading this... Now you ruining my techno jam.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1