Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Chiller, pump(s), and temperature controller install help

Arleina

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This might seem like a stupid question but I'm a tad confused on how everything works together.

So, the plan is to have a 40 g tank running on a HOB filter, which will need to be chilled at least 10 degrees F. I've been looking at getting a Active Aqua Chiller (1/10 or 1/4 hp) and a temperature controller (to turn on/off the chiller when temp reaches a certain degree).

I knew I need a pump to feed water to the chiller...and now it seems I also need a pump to return water from the chiller back to the 40 gal as the chiller is incapable of doing that, right? So I need 2 pumps rated at same GPU?

My major question is how does the temperature controller work in terms of the pumps? For example purposes, say I have the controller set to turn the chiller on at the temperature of 68F (20 C) and turn off at 64 F (18 C).
If I have only the chiller plugged into the controller, when the temperature reaches 64 F and turns of the chiller, the pumps don't stop right? It'll continue feeding water to and from the chiller back to the 40 (with the water not being chilled because it should be at an ideal temp) and this is fine right? :confused:
Or do I need to have both pumps and chiller plugged in to the controller (through an extension cord or something?) so that the controller will shut everything off...? This seems like a bad idea, potential of overflowing? :eek:

I apologize if this is a stupid question. :eek:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You need only one pump for chiller. Be sure it is the size rated for your chiller. I like a pump with a filter attached to it. The water is pumped into the chiller and flows out from the pressure of the water being pumped in. The thermostat on the chiller kicks on and off depending on the temp of the tank water. The water is always flowing through the chiller but the chiller is not always chilling.

If you put cooling fans on the tank it should drop the temp 5 to 7 degrees and a chiller might not be needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!