Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Seachem Prime Cycling and water changes

Chomprawrmoo

Reaction score
So I'm getting set up to start cycling a small tank.
I tested my water (which we use a lot of chloramine in the water apparently) before and after being treated with Prime.
I know prime can throw false positives of high ammonia due to the inability for the API water test kit to detect the ammonium separately.
During the cycling of a tank, I assume its not an issue because I'll be using some existing media and I assume the ammonium will be broken down.

However, for the partial water changes after the axolotls are in the tanks - will the high ammonium hurt them at all? I currently have two 2.5in babies in a decent tub with daily water changes, so I have time to work on this.
Their first tank will be a 10 gallon, and the next tank is a 29 gallon.

Junaz

Reaction score
Wow no one answered you. I have a similar problem now, except my axie is already in her tank cause I don't have a seperate tub of clean water to put her in. What did you end up doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!