Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pacific Treefrog Tadpoles Tips

Pear

Reaction score
I have saved a few pacific treefrog tadpoles from a dried up pool of water. Most of them are still quite small. Any tips on keeping them? I have a setup, I'm not sure what to feed them, how often I should do water changes, and how long it takes for them to grow. :confused:

Cjhermosillo

Reaction score
Use clean de chlorinated water. Or bottled water. do a 50% water change every few days. I would put a bubble spongefilter (simple air pump connected to airline, connected to sponge filter, all can be bought at any aquarium store or pet store with fish). If you use a regular filter you may suck the tadpoles up and harm them. feed bits of commercial bought tadpole pellets, algae from local ponds around you, and potentially tiny bits of boiled egg and lettuce. When they are ready to come out of the water they will have all four limbs and the tail will shrink. At this point tilt the tank steadily on its side, so the water leans at an angle and makes a "beach" for them to crawl onto. once they are out you can raise them like any other tree frog or release them.

sylas

Reaction score
keep them in a large but relatively flat tank filled with fresh, still, dechlorinated water (change out part every couple of days) feed them fish flakes (crumbled up if needed) finely chopped lettuce, and/or mosquito larvae and add some plants and grass for them to hide around in. when they start developing legs, and a large, flat ish rock that they can climb onto when they’re ready. once they have fully developed legs, transfer them to a tank with soil, bark, rocks, moss, and sticks for them to climb and hide. a fully grown one will need at least 10 gallons per frog. good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!