Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie cant seem to sink

Hipersaz

Reaction score
Can any1 give me same advice one of my Axie's seem to be staying at the top and everytime it tries to come down it floats back up again and stays there for hours but moves round the top?

Ive read in a book that there could be some air trapped is this true? If it is does any1 no how long it will last or if theres anythin i can do to help??

:happy:

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How long has it been like this? Occasional floating is not usually a problem, but if it goes on for days then it's not normal.

Hipersaz

Reaction score
I think there a few month old, I noticed it yesterday morning before i went to work and when my boyfriend came home it was still up there, he put some food in and it tried to come down then when i got in it was back at the top again, Late last night it came down for about half an hour but then went back up, Ive come down this morning and its back up again :confused:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there!

Water quality is most important to an axolotl's health. Have you tested the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, and water temperature of the tank? Ammonia and Nitrite are the most important readings to take, as any reading higher than '0' in either of these is dangerously toxic to an axolotl, and can cause a great deal of stress to the animal.

Has the tank been cycled? If not, how frequently do you conduct partial water changes? And, how much water is replaced each time?

What size is the tank? Does the axolotl have any tank companions (other axolotls, fish, or other)?

What type of filter are you using?

Is there any water current going on in the tank? Axolotls prefer still water, and water movement of any kind (such as the flow issued from a power filter) can cause them a great deal of stress.

Impaction (ingested stones blocking the gut) can also cause an axolotl to float. Is there any gravel in the tank that the axolotl may have swallowed? What sort of substrate are you using? Is there any small ornaments such as marbles or anything small enough to fit in the axolotl's mouth that he or she may have swallowed?

Is the axolotl eating? What are you feeding the axolotls? How much, and how often do you feed them?

Last edited:

Hipersaz

Reaction score
Hey

I had the water checked by the store where I got them from and it was all clear and ready to use, I change the water every week by taking 10% out and putting same back in, im using a smart filter, Theres slight movement at the top in the middle where the filter is but not much, and the tnk size 35l, The stones are quite big so dont think they have swollowed any, I feed them every day about the same time.

Thanks for your help :happy:

XeryusTC

Reaction score
You better get a test kit so you can check the current water conditions of your tank. The parameters of a tank are very unstable when you compare it to nature. You need to check the parameters of your tank at least once a week when you do a water change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!